• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Now, I don't mean to go off on a rant here...

Biohazard

First Post
Now, I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but after playing d20 Modern since its release I have come to identify a number of distinct d20 Modern player-types I have come to loathe. These are players who will drive me into an early grave if I ever have to GM for any of them again. Honestly, I would rather pluck out my own eyeballs with a pair of rusty tweezers dipped in salt and vinegar and eat the eyeballs on a sandwich of my own feces than have to confront any of these bozos at my gaming table in the future.

They are:

1. THE GUN MUNCHKIN. This is a guy who loves guns. Adores them. Often he's a hunter, the kind of guy who's been killing animals since age 8 and considers it a sign of true masculinity to slit the throat of a wounded deer that is paralyzed with fright. In a d20 Modern adventure the Gun Munchkin always wants to know two things: (1) What kind of gun do I have? and (2) Can I also get______ (insert exotic gun type here)? A typical exchange between myself (as GM) and the Gun Munchkin goes something like this:
-----
Me: Okay, you kick down the door and find yourself in a small, cluttered storage room, lit poorly by a filthy bulb dangling from the end of a frayed rope.

Gun Munchkin: Are there any guns?

Me: Er, do you want to search the room?

Gun Munchkin: Yeah, I'll take 20 on a search. I'm hoping to find a Desert Eagle with .50 Action Express round, or perhaps (drool) a CZ61 Skorpion.

Me: Uh, sure. Anyway, you search the room and find no guns. However, you *do* find a very interesting--

Gun Munchkin: What? No guns? This sucks.
-----

I find Gun Munchkins almost impossible to cope with. They are even more obnoxious and annoying than Military Wannabes (though it's a close call). The Gun Munchkin is so detached from reality in his worship of firearms that if you offered him (a) One hour with an AK-47 assault rifle at a firing range or (b) One hour with the bikini-clad Olsen twins in a hot tub, he would, without hesitation, take the AK-47. Strange. Sad, even.

2. THE MILITARY WANNABE. Also known as "THE AMBULANCE CHASER" or "THE WEEKEND WARRIOR" this truly frightening player is a distant cousin of the Gun Munchkin. His entire goal in the campaign is to play a high-level military special operative soldier, almost always American (but sometimes British or Israeli). What makes the Military Wannabe an annoying player is that he wants to play this character regardless of the nature of the campaign. For example:
-----
Me: Okay guys, let's roll up characters. Remember you're creating ordinary first-level characters with any starting occupation except Law Enforcement or Military. Average citizens.

Military Wannabe: WHAT? First level? Average citizens? But I want to play a 10th level Navy SEAL who specializes in demolitions and sniper fire! Or at least an Israeli Special Commando!

Me: Er, right. But remember that this is a *horror* campaign in which the characters are *inexperienced civilians*.

Military Wannabe: WHAT? That sucks!
-----
Military Wannabes are easily spotted because they almost always have two distinctive features: (1) They usually wear camoflauge clothing, and (2) They talk incessantly about how America, Britain, or Israel are currently "kicking ass" in various regions of the world. In countries where militarism is not a strong part of the culture (such as Canada, Sweden, Swizterland, etc.) the Military Wannabe will inevitably gripe about how his country's army "sucks" and how "cool" it would be to live in a country with a more powerful military. When not playing RPGs the Military Wannabe spends endless hours playing first-person shooters on his computer.

3. THE REALIST. The Realist is, for the most part, a relatively benign d20 Modern player type, but one who doesn't fit into any of the campaigns I enjoy running. He is obsessed with playing in a campaign that is "realistic"; therefore, any elements of magic, psionics, monsters, the supernatural, or paranormal phenomena (including alien visitations and the like) will offend and repel him immediately. It can be amusing when a Realist joins a campaign not realising that these elements will be present in the campaign until they appear. When that happens, the following exchange usually occurs:
-----
Me: Okay, you enter the deserted warehouse and find strange runes scribbled all over the walls.

Realist: Obviously the work of an insane person with delusions of the supernatural. I investigate the runes.

Me: Just as you do, a hideous ghoul runs at you from the shadows, screeching hideously.

Realist: "Ghoul"? What the hell is a "ghoul"? I thought we were playing d20 "Modern"! Everybody knows there's no such thing as ghouls! What is this, Dungeons & Dragons?
-----
Due to its cinematic nature, few Realists gravitate to d20 Modern to begin with; most of them fanatically play GURPS.

4. THE FILM FANBOY. The Film Fanboy is obsessed with crafting a character that is either (1) a character from his favorite action or science-fiction film, or (2) a character that is more or less a thinly-disguised copy of a character from his favorite action or science-fiction film. Go over to the message boards at Wizards of the Coast and you'll find scores of Film Fanboys who debate endlessly whether Neo from the Matrix is primarily a Dedicated or a Fast hero, or whether Fox Mulder from the X-Files is a 10th or 12th level character. Of the four character types listed here, the Film Fanboy is the easiest to get along with, as he is usually incredibly enthusiastic about any campaign involving action and the supernatural (my campaigns have lots of both) but he can be grating due to his complete inability to form a single original or creative thought about character creation. Plus, his endless blathering about film and TV trivia gets old real fast.

Anyone have any other player types to add?

Tellerve

Ok, first off, you totally intended to go on a rant so don't even try and lessen the blow of your annoyance to these player types for us. Secondly, those are annoying types, but I haven't seen the "realist" myself.

What about making a productive list of people we would like to see in games? Or help with story plots or something...this just seems like a negative instead of a positive. Maybe I'm just in a "let's be positive mood." *shrugs*

Tellerve

takyris

First Post
Oh good lord.

:)

THE MARTIAL ARTS JUNKIE. This person wants to be Bruce Lee. No, check that, Bruce Lee was a pansy. He wants to be Jet Li with wire-fu. He wants to be Goku or Gohan or whatever Dragonballz person he can get away with. He wants to punch holes in walls.

If he builds his character on his own, he will complain when he gets shot and dies.

If you show him how to build a character who can do massive amounts of unarmed damage -- like, more on average than a strong person with a greatsword -- he will still complain that his character can't do anything but run up and hit people. No matter how powerful his character gets, unless he can get a feat or skill that describes his ability to leap into the air and then freeze time and do the cameras-moving-180-degrees thing, he's not gonna be happy.

Requests to describe his abilities in cinematic terms are not responded to with happiness.

In a martial arts campaign, he is in heaven, unless somebody else is as cool as he is. In a non-martial arts campaign, he tends to stick out like a sore thumb.

related

THE ANIME-NINJA BROODING HERO JERK

This guy watched a lot of anime. A lot. And he wants to play an anime game. Unfortunately, he somehow stumbled into your d20 Modern game. The concept of balanced skills and feats and class selections do not appeal to the anime gamer. He wants to hit harder than anyone in the world when he uses his ki strike. He wants to be impossible to hit when he goes into full power mode. He wants to sit on the sidelines and sulk (only he calls it brooding) for most of the game, though, because he equates "staring silently and waiting for people to become supporting cast members in his fantasy world by asking him what's wrong and trying unsuccessfully to get him to talk" with roleplaying. So basically, he wants to be stronger than everyone, faster than everyone, and more devoted and dedicated and strong-willed than everyone, and his weakness is that he's quiet and broody and consumed by self-hatred.

The best thing to do to these people is to put them in a game with people who don't watch anime, people who say, "Why is he so quiet? Alrighty, off we go then! Hey, mister mopey-face, you can come along if you want, but if you do, turn that frown upside-down and start hitting things!"

Also, force them to roll. If they have a Cha of 8 and no ranks in Diplomacy, the fact that they can't just say the cool thing they've been saving up will just eat them up inside as they roll that 7 (6 after Cha) and fail to convince the princess to fall in love with them. Of course, they will argue that she SHOULD fall in love with them, because that's what princesses do in anime-land. They fall in love with people who act like jerks.

Note: In an anime-styled game, this is perfectly acceptible, except that everyone seems to want to be the cloak-clad brooding loner. It's only in an otherwise normal d20 Modern game that anime-dude sticks out like a sore thumb.

BrooklynKnight

First Post
I'm stuck with the Gun freak who wants to be in an Anime game.

All he cares about is rockets that deal the most collateral dammage, and whants guns that spout off 300 rounds a second...

Apparently base attack bonus with guns doesnt make sense to him.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I hate to tell you this but these types of players have been around since the beginning of RPGs, especially those with any form of modern bend on the rules including the various Cyperpunk games, Recon, Twilight 2000, Traveller, Traveller 2300, Aftermath, GURPS, Star Trek, Hero, etc. etc. It ain't no d20 Modern-exclusive things.

Some people just get hung up on playing specific types of characters and wouldn't stretch out to play something different no matter what the inducement is. You happen to be annoyed by the types you listed above. And I can see why.
I also get annoyed at:

Angst-ridden Goth
Grizzled Street Veteran
Hard Nosed Cop with the Heart of Gold
Huggy-Bear-style Pimp

IF they are played pretty much exclusively by the same players every time. In moderation, they and the types you listed above can be OK.

Soundbyte

First Post
Here's a couple more player types I've run across:

The Axe Murderer

Combat is part of the game, sure, but this is the guy who will kill anything that gets in his way. You see this in a lot of games, but it's seems more pervasive in D20 modern, probably because there tends to be more innocent people around for the Axe Murderer to gleefully gun down. This is the guy who will derail any plot you might have had as a Game Master, and will ensure that most of your games end in bloody gunfights with the police.

"She's got 11 items in her cart? This is the express line! Uzi-time!"

The Specific Realist

This one's sort of a subspecies of the realist. They pick one thing (computer hacking, a branch of science, etc.) that they're acquainted with in real life, and then complain constantly about how the game doesn't simulate that particular aspect of roleplay well.

"Well, that's not how hacking works ... I mean, that's completely unrealistic."

"Right, because it takes a completely different technique to hack a military supercomputer with a twenty-sided die?"

The One Trick Pony

This is the guy who specializes his character to the nth degree. Specialization is great, and each character should have their own "shtick." However, this player goes a little too far and spends all their skill points on one obscure skill set. The problem with this, is you have to include this one obscure facet of the game in every adventure, or else the character sits on the sidelines sulking. Admittedly D20 modern does a good job of organizing skills so the one-trick pony isn't as common as in other systems, but it still happens.

"My character is a university professor who's completely fluent in Ancient Sanskrit. I can read it, write it, and converse fluently! Cool, huh? Nope, I can't read Latin or anything like that ... nope, I don't know much about ancient history ... yeah, sorta used most of my skill points on the Sanskrit thing ..."

There's other problem types that I've run into, but these were the three that came to mind right away. The military-wannabe is definitely one that I've run into a ton of times as well.

By the way, it's my first post on these boards, so I apologize if I've messed up the formatting or anything like that.

Soundbyte

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
The real problem is gamers who like quoting show tunes and only want to play Personalities.

Wannabe Divas all, I tell you!

:D

Tellerve

Biohazard said:
What fun would that be? ;)

A'ight true, and everyone else seems to be having fun. *let's loose the reigns and let's this beast run free...a slight tear running down my cheek*

Tellerve

Remove ads