• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Now that 4e is out, are you into it or sticking with a prior edition?

Which edition, especially in response to 4e?

• Gladly changing with the times--4e is for me

Votes: 303 45.6%
  • Hesitantly changing with the times--I'll try 4e, but I'm not selling my Xe books yet

Votes: 94 14.1%
  • I'm sticking with 3.5 (for whatever reason)

Votes: 248 37.3%
  • I never changed from 3.0 to 3.5

Votes: 40 6.0%
  • I never changed from 2e, or went back to 2e

Votes: 22 3.3%
  • I never changed from 1e, or went back to 1e

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Advanced D&D? faw! Basic all the way

Votes: 22 3.3%
  • OD&D, baby!!!

Votes: 16 2.4%

BadMojo

First Post
I'm sticking with 3.5 or maybe I'll give Pathfinder a shot. I need to play *something*, but I just can't get in to 4E.

There are too many things about the game I just don't like. I sat down and read through a PHB for about 30 minutes at my local Borders store, and I actually like it less than I did when I was just relying on previews and info from others here at EnWorld.

I might play a 4E game on occasion if my group adopts it, but I just can't bring myself to even spend the $20 to get it from Amazon.

Verys Arkon

First Post
As my 3.5 campaign gets into the mid to high levels, I can feel our gaming sessions collapsing under the system's weight. Ultimately, if the game isn't fun to play while at the table, it doesn't matter how many classes there are to choose from, how many spells can be chosen from, or how many feats there are. Our combat turns take forever! At one point, we were using Fantasy Grounds on laptops just to handle the dice rolling. Here are some of the lowlights from a 13th-level combat from my last game: 26d6 disintegrate, a scout doing 10-14 die of damage each round, the warblade does 12-14 die of damage every other round. The 5 or 6 enemies had 6 attacks each! That can mean counting literally hundreds of dice over the span of a long combat. Counting dice is not fun. Not hard, just not fun.

In another campaign, half our party was neutered because of spell resistance, and immunities. Players were reduced to 'aid another' actions for round after round to help the one or two PCs that were actually useful. No fun.

I was excited to here about Pathfinder RPG, because I was really happy with Paizo's Dungeon and Dragon magazines, and their Pathfinder adventure paths (still angry with WotC about that!). But then when I read it I found it doesn't fix the core problems: Iterative attacks, attack and AC scaling, multiclassing, full-caster supremacy, and all the dice counting! It is simply someone's published house rules, and because they want to claim backwards compatibility they can't go far enough to fix what is really wrong with 3.5. It is just too cumbersome to actually have fun with at the table outside the 'sweet spot'.

I'll miss some of the options from 3.5, like the druid (patience!), but I won't miss the glut of feats, spells, and prestige classes that I had to wade through to find the optimal choice for my characters. Nor will I miss the agony of stating out monsters and NPCs when I DM. In fact, glut became such a problem that maybe my 4e games will be 'core only' (defined by our group, not WotC's 'everything is core').

So I will certainly, without a second thought, be switching to 4e. The thing I'll miss most about 3.5 will be Paizo's adventures, but conversion is still a possibility.

JohnClark

First Post
3.5 never really offered me anything over 3.0, and having now read through 4E quite a bit, I'm feeling like I'll probably stick to 3.0 for the time being.

Ace

Adventurer
I doubt I'll be playing much D&D (no group or interest in one) but if I do it will likely be a mutant strain of Pathfinder or my own new hybrid Wielders.

4e seems to be set up entirely for hack and slash (OK and talking to some stuff before you kill it) which isn't a bad thing mind, just an issue of taste.

When the KTTTS bug hits me I'll go seek out a group and play something -- maybe a ranger.

Papa-DRB

First Post
I am the DM of my group, and have been since 1992, so where I go they generally go, sometimes reluctantly. When we switched to 3E, there was no resistance at all since 2E was getting quite stale in our opinions.

Switching to 3.5E took some work on my part. I almost just house ruled the "hour/level" spells to "minute/level" which was one of the big improvements in my mind, but we did end up switching.

The group has discussed 4E and no one wants to change for several reasons. Money, missing classes, money, having to buy additional core books every year (not that we *have* to, but if it contains the "missing" stuff, we would), money, and we are fairly comfortable with the current set of rules.

I am participating in the Paizo Pathfinder RPG alpha/beta and after the current campaign ends, I am going to print out the Beta document for everyone (I am buying a soft cover copy), and we will switch to that for at least the next campaign.

Also, I have enough 1-20 (or at least 15+) campaigns from Dungeon and other sources that we haven't played yet to last me till DnD V7 comes out in 15 years. Maybe we will switch then.

-- david
Papa.DRB
Grognard

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Papa-DRB said:
Also, I have enough 1-20 (or at least 15+) campaigns from Dungeon and other sources that we haven't played yet to last me till DnD V7 comes out in 15 years. Maybe we will switch then.

V7 is going 100% holodeck.

No books, just tell the computer which adventure you want to run. :D

Philodox00

First Post
I bought the 4E core books, so I can play 4E games when the chances arrive, becuase I'm just a gamer at heart, and I'll play anything really.

But I've found exactly what I like in my version of D20 (based off of 3.5). I've been molding it to my homebrew world for years now and it only keeps getting better with time. Besides, there is so much 3E out there that can't share shelf space with the new 4E, so I'm hoping they get pushed into the bargin bin or Ebay!

I am honestly excited for 4E tho, if it's as popular as they say it is, then a win for 4E is a win for the hobby.

Aristotle

First Post
I'd like to think I was about 80% pro 4e. I have no campaign right now. We've been playing some SWSE while we wait for the dust to settle. I'm happy enough with what I've seen now, and will be moving forward with a 4e campaign later this month.

Remove ads