• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Now that 4e is out, are you into it or sticking with a prior edition?

Which edition, especially in response to 4e?

• Gladly changing with the times--4e is for me

Votes: 303 45.6%
  • Hesitantly changing with the times--I'll try 4e, but I'm not selling my Xe books yet

Votes: 94 14.1%
  • I'm sticking with 3.5 (for whatever reason)

Votes: 248 37.3%
  • I never changed from 3.0 to 3.5

Votes: 40 6.0%
  • I never changed from 2e, or went back to 2e

Votes: 22 3.3%
  • I never changed from 1e, or went back to 1e

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Advanced D&D? faw! Basic all the way

Votes: 22 3.3%
  • OD&D, baby!!!

Votes: 16 2.4%

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
Sticking with 3.5 for our Savage Tide & Age of Worms game. (We're at "Sea Wyvern's Wake" and "Hall of Harsh Reflections" respectively.

Then, we may switch to 4E, but WAY more likely to switch to Pathfinder.

Ranes

Adventurer
Seven years after my first encounter with 3e and I'm throughly enjoying 3.5. 4e has completely failed to win me over. OD&D, Basic, and 1e are still pleasurable reads and I continue to import ideas from them but 3.5 is where I'm staying, at least until 5e.

4E unreservedly.

This is the first time I've ever had fun DMing - outside of world creation - in a DnD game.

Pathfinder, thus far, just gives me the creeps. So much so that I'm actually looking forward to the splitting of the community base.

Like a car with too many bumper stickers it's just a clear way for the driver to let you know they won't be that interesting to hang out with.

No offense to those who like both or play Pathfinder ironically. Moderates and Hipsters are always interesting.

Dynel

First Post
Interestingly, Dr. Strangemonkey has a similar viewpoint as I do, though for me its directed at 4e.

I see 4e as that guy you see that you knew in high school 15 years ago and are like, "Damn, what happened to him?" It just gives me the creeps.

4e is D&D only in name, in my opinion. It has some similar elements to the previous editions, but I look at it scratching my head, wondering what the hell happened to D&D.

So I'll be sticking to 3.5 to the foreseeable future. I might make a foray into PFRPG, at least to mine some ideas. I might even try out a C&C game, too. But no 4e at my gaming table.

And I agree with those that believe the holdouts are higher now than they were with the 2e -> 3e switch. I think its much higher, based on my experience, both on the internet and talking to people at the multiple LGS's in my area.

My post was not intended to anger or offend any 4e enthusiasts. These are my personal feelings on the new edition. No disrespect to Dr. Strangemonkey was intended in my post.

the Jester

Legend
I'll be finishing up my two current games in 3.5 (The Red Hand of Doom and Beyond Bile Mountain, respectively, for my low-level group and my epic group). Then we'll be going 4e all the way. It's a great game- a mixed group of us has been playing Keep on the Shadowfell, and it has been tons of fun. I really look forward to experimenting with all the 4e options and the tools available to me as a dm. I would also love to get in on someone's 4e campaign- if only I had the time.

Calico_Jack73

First Post
I don't have a whole lot of prep time anymore so I'm gladly switching to 4E. However, my 3.XE books will have a place of honor right next to my 1e and 2e books on my bookshelf. :)

Luce

Explorer
Sticking to 3ed and 2ed. At this point of my life, I have too much other things to do then to learn a new system. I browsed the books. Um, it has promise, but it is too different from previous editions to allow a easy learning curve. I see it as completely new game, which just happened to wear the same name.
May be 3-4 years down the road.

Arnwyn

First Post
Sticking with 3.x into the foreseeable future - no 4e, no Pathfinder RPG (though yes to the Pathfinder APs and modules).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads