• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Now that 4e is out, are you into it or sticking with a prior edition?

Which edition, especially in response to 4e?

• Gladly changing with the times--4e is for me

Votes: 303 45.6%
  • Hesitantly changing with the times--I'll try 4e, but I'm not selling my Xe books yet

Votes: 94 14.1%
  • I'm sticking with 3.5 (for whatever reason)

Votes: 248 37.3%
  • I never changed from 3.0 to 3.5

Votes: 40 6.0%
  • I never changed from 2e, or went back to 2e

Votes: 22 3.3%
  • I never changed from 1e, or went back to 1e

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Advanced D&D? faw! Basic all the way

Votes: 22 3.3%
  • OD&D, baby!!!

Votes: 16 2.4%

drowdude

First Post
Around the time that 4e was announced, I had grown quite sick of 3.x for a variety of reasons. So I was already looking for something new, so I preordered the books and hoped for the best. However, two sessions later, I can say that 4e is quite simply not the game for me. Its a good game, but its not what I would call "D&D", and not a system I would enjoy running for an extended period of time.

I had already decided that I wasnt going back to 3e, and found myself looking at my 2e books thinking maybe it was time to go back to what I started with. That train of thought ended up with me deciding to give Hackmaster a looksee since I knew it was based on the 1e/2e rules.
In doing so, I think I found the game I should have probably switched to back in 2001, heh :)

Korgoth

First Post
I've finally decided, partly in frustration at Amazon, to cancel my order. But I've gone over lots of things that have been said about 4E and I'm now confident that it's not for me.

So I'm sticking primarily with OD&D and Classic, but I also use 1E stuff and some day I may dust off 2E to do some Dark Sun.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I am hesitant, but just not sure what I'm going to do

I guess I'm moving forward into 4e. I'm not at all pleased about it, in fact I'm probably going kicking and screaming.

I am still bitter that Living Greyhawk was killed.
I am still bitter that Dragon and Dungeon were killed and rolled into a online service that is mostly crippled for me (I'm a Mac user).
Maybe I'm a creatively stunted person, but the inventive names given to feats and powers just turn me off.

I'm finding I wished I had sold off all of my thousands of dollars worth of 3.x stuff back when 4e was announced because right now I'm so disillusioned with D&D that some days I want to wash my hands of all version of my hobby. It bothers me a little because my son was just now getting to the age where I wanted to start bringing him in to the D&D fold. For months he has been pestering me to play some D&D but I told him we would wait until June when the next edition would come out and we could learn it together.

I'm hoping it's just a passing phase and when Living FR finally arrives I'll be in a better mood, I'l have absorbed the new realities of this entirely new game, but right now I think I'd much rather pull out my old, classic Battletech collection to play with my son than this new release of D&D.

As an aside, I appreciate the work put in to these rules. I can tell they were a significant work of passion, but if there is anything that makes me thing I wasted my money on these books is that dozens and dozens of pages in the 4e books are smearing like it was printed by an ink jet printer. Unbelievable.

When I do get to role playing again I know it will be 4e, but I won't be enthused about the rules, because I just don't have other options right now. My role playing is pretty much restricted to RPGA games due to my irregular schedule and life-realities.

rounser

First Post
Based on my brother's copies, I've spent the money elsewhere that I'd set aside for buying the 4E core books. As I predicted it's "Eberron: The Game" with dragonborn standing in for warforged, and all sorts of thematic incoherency and quirkiness which is there for background reasons of marketing compromise (just like Eberron).

If they'd just overhauled the rules I would have been cool with that, but they've overhauled the rules and the flavour too much. Why tieflings, eladrin, half-elves and dragonborn? Why CE and LG? It's all so arbitrary. It's not a world I can believe in automatically without expending concious effort to do so. I understand that you can't give everyone everything at once to suit all tastes, and that there are reasons for supplying default gods to newbie players, but the first books should have at least been more classic than they are.

It's like they've forgotten the 2E lesson of people not being interested in TSR's worldbuilding. I hope WOTC eventually realises that they should leave the fun worldbuilding to the players (and yes, pretending that dragonborn and tieflings exist everywhere is big-time worldbuilding), and make rules to do the drudgework. Players adore making maps and gods and choosing races and wallowing in macro level worldbuilding stuff which is useless to play. Generative rules which filled in the "hard work" gap not covered by those things would have been my ideal next edition.

Kudos for the combat system, it's a lot more fun than the old one. But that's not all that D&D is about; 5E should focus on the exploration aspect in equal measure, and a DMG packed to the gills with encounter-generating tables for a Dungeon, Wilderness and Urban world of adventure would support that (and I mean to the hilt, for a game which is by default played improvised...with no need to generate maps, DMs love doing that themselves). Perhaps that's not practical, but I can dream.

And why is there still dross like the chuul, destrachan and chokers in the MM for goodness sake?? It's the phantom fungus principle - it doesn't matter if you meet a design goal with a monster if it sucks thematically, it still won't get used. It's clear to me that not much was learnt from 3E in this respect, or maybe there's some sort of obscure Cthulhu chic about these monsters that the designers see that I'm not digging. You left out adventure-driving monsters like the leprechaun (the hook for at least half a dozen Dungeon Magazine adventures from memory) for this?

I was reading about D&Desque board games today such as Talisman, Prophecy, Descent and Runebound, looking for a replacement for D&D, and they were described as balancing combat and exploration. The latter is the missing part of your equation, WOTC - I hope it's your direction for 5E. Without it, you get 4E's "hollow shell" feel.

Maybe next edition.

Last edited:

Remove ads