D&D 5E Now we know what a Fire Hellion is (minor spoiler)

jgsugden

Legend
If you want unpainted minis, there are options (such as the current Gloomhaven Minis) that are about $0.60 per medium mini. Alterntively, a one time investment in a 3D printer and a little time searching for free or cheap STLs may mean a huge supply of minis at a very low unpainted cost.

If you want painted minis, your best bet to get started it buying lots on Ebay - either entire collections or the extras that people decided they do not need.

I watched the prepainted plastic mini go from the very start with DDM to the present and saw how the price has ridiculously skrocketed. I bought Harbinger starters (with 10 commons, 5 uncommons and 1 rare) for $5 on clearance. Booster of 8 minis, were soon after ~$10, before going to $13. I remember buying up swarms of commons from online retailers at $0.10 to $0.50 per mini (including a lot of 100 dwarf skeletons for $10). By the time DDM was winding down I was really only buying minis for sealed events for their skirmish game and the occasional single because I already had everything I needed. And now I find myself buying the occasional single or a booster just for the thrill of it ... but I am still shocked that someone else is not doing the exact model they used back in 2003 and doing a standalong skirmish game with cheap minis with a few paint steps each that cover the basic fantasy tropes. The skirmish game can be real basic and still work - and even if the costs have quadrupled, they can still make cheap minis that they sell for $0.25 in a vending machine, so they can still make them elsewhere. It seems like undercutting WotC would be relatively easy these days ...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think part of the fun of the tabletop game is handcrafting accessories.
Totally awesome hobby, I think, but not one I've ever experienced: play TotM by and large, once I'm College we had such a crazy fight that we juryriggef a "map" on a table with coins and doodads. Our usual method of play was sitting around talking.

Remove ads