WOIN NOW: What to do with CHI gained from careers in a non-supernatural setting that doesn't use CHI?

TheHirumaChico

Explorer
I know there is a sidebar note called "Martial Arts & Chi" to this on p. 55 of the NOW 1.2 Core Rulebook, but it doesn't really answer this specific question: If a non-supernatural career like gives a CHI increase -- Ninja, Warrior-Monk, and several of the Martial Arts Careers on pp. 56-61 -- what does one do with that stat if the setting is not using CHI? My players obviously don't want to feel short-changed by getting nothing, so for my game I have house-ruled that any career that gives a CHI attribute increase gives an equivalent LUC attribute increase instead. However, I'm curious if there is an official stance on how this should be handled? I'm concerned that my arbitrary LUC trade ruling will possibly create an unforeseen game imbalance. How do others deal with this?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You have two choices.

1) PSI, CHI, and MAG are all names for the same stat. You choose whether to use spells, psi powers, or chi stances.

2) You have separate scores in each and manage your spells, psi powers, and chi stances separately.

TheHirumaChico

Explorer
You have two choices.

1) PSI, CHI, and MAG are all names for the same stat. You choose whether to use spells, psi powers, or chi stances.

2) You have separate scores in each and manage your spells, psi powers, and chi stances separately.
Sorry, I may be a little dense, but I'm not sure how that answers my question? I've chosen to not have any supernatural elements in my setting, so what to do with non-supernatural careers that provide CHI/PSI/MAG attribute increases? A character with CHI 6 in my setting will have no use for that stat. Similar to the REP stat I suppose, since in my setting, characters work for an agency that supplies them with gear, so they don't need to buy their own gear. I know there was an EONS article a while back discussing alternative uses for the REP stat, so maybe that can find its way to being useful in my setting someday, but not CHI/PSI/MAG.

Eldyn

Explorer
You have the right idea and your concern about LUK is probably valid. I would transfer any CHI increases to AGI or possibly STR. LUK is a very powerful attribute and I think you are right to be cautious about giving players extra LUK.

lichmaster

Adventurer
I think you basically have two options: either you turn CHI into some other attribute that may be useful to your campaign (attributes are also open ended in WOIN, you could have HONOR or something similar as described in some EONS article), or you could just replace the CHI increases from those careers into some other attribute.
Having two sources of LUCK dice doesn't really work IMO because it's way cheaper to gain 1 LUCK dice by getting your very first increase in CHI (not all careers and characters have CHI), than to gain it by raising an already non zero LUCK score

An Advertisement

Advertisement4