• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Now You all know The bards and their songs..."

Darklone

frankthedm said:
Humanocentric setting? Now being too effective against Humanocentric opponents happens as soon as someone who can rage grabs a 2 handed weapon. ;) You must use monsters on barbarians. Only monsters can soak those raging hits and tear the barbarian to ribbons fast enough.
Right. That's why that DM gave up ;)

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
barbarian bard does sound appealing...

when you guys use bards as long-term characters, what do you usually do with them? feats, skills and combat strategy

Darklone

SorvahrSpahr said:
barbarian bard does sound appealing...

when you guys use bards as long-term characters, what do you usually do with them? feats, skills and combat strategy
Whatever you want. Everything but a tank.

Darklone

Polearm bard multiclass: Scout levels or rogue levels rock, barbarian for rage. Druidic UA variant savage is nice as well since you gain rage and can head towards fochlucan lyrist later. Spring Attack keeps you alive, high Power Attack values while still being able to hit well are the chars schtick.

Easiest build is the bard archer. Go elf or take one-four fighter levels (WS opens the way to Ranged Weapon Mastery!!!). Haste spell, Heroism and your song bonus plus boosts nicely increase your arrow damage. Get a wand of Flame Arrow and some wands of Energy substituted Flame Arrow to buff if you have time to prepare for a battle.

TWF bard: Rogue multiclass is a must. Go dervish or add a few barbarian levels. This is severly suboptimal, but I loved it.

chitzk0i

Explorer
Xanterith said:
Currently I am playing a Bard - 4th / Wizard - 5th / Loremaster - 6th with practiced spell caster. I know everything. It drives my DM nuts, but in a good way.

I've been pondering a bard/Loremaster. You could go straight bard, though. Almost all of your spells known would have to be divinations, though.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Wait, can you sing a bardic music while raging? I thought they require concentration, and rage cannot be used with those concentration abilities?

Darklone said:
Whatever you want. Everything but a tank.

It can be done as a tank.

My halfling barbarian 5/bard 4 has the highest regular AC of the group (small size + dex benefits + large shield).

He also has the highest hp of the group (d12's for the win!)

He's also taken the Mounted Combat tree and since we're playing in Eberron, I get to use medium-sized dinosaurs as mounts.

Insipire Courage + Rage + Spirited Charge + Power Attack + Ride By Attack = DM's beloved monsters dying in a maner most painful and grotesque while I suffer no AoO.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Mistwell said:
Wait, can you sing a bardic music while raging? I thought they require concentration, and rage cannot be used with those concentration abilities?

Some do:
Starting a bardic music effect is a standard action. Some bardic music abilities require concentration, which means the bard must take a standard action each round to maintain the ability. Even while using bardic music that doesn’t require concentration, a bard cannot cast spells, activate magic items by spell completion (such as scrolls), or activate magic items by magic word (such as wands).

The music abilities that mention concentration are Fascinate, Inspire Competence, and Song of Freedom. Those that don't are Countersong, Inspire Courage, Inspire Greatness, and Inspire Heroics. (Suggestion and Mass Suggestion don't, but they only work while you're Fascinating anyway.)

You also can't use Countersong while raging - not because it requires concentration (it doesn't), but because it requires a Perform check, and you can't use Cha-based skills (apart from Intimidate) while raging.

As far as I can see, there's nothing preventing Inspire Courage, Inspire Greatness, or Inspire Heroics during a Rage.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads