Now You Can Play With Vin Diesel's WITCH HUNTER Class!

The class played by Vin Diesel in his recent D&D game was a custom class called the Witch Hunter, designed for him by DM Matt Mercer. Geek & Sundry has released the class as a nine-page PDF! "In a landscape tormented by all manner of beasts, devils, and abominations from beyond the veil, most live in fear of the dark, of superstition, and of the unknown. Some grow hardened by this experience, instead choosing to stand up and fight against the tide of shadow. These folk are called 'heroes'. Some, however, are so fanatical and bent on destroying the anethema that plagues the countryside that they embrace dark, forbidden knowledge. They so obsessively research forgotten magics and dangerous, experimental alchemy to become the perfect hunter that their humanity is often called into question. These folk are called 'Witch Hunters'."

The class played by Vin Diesel in his recent D&D game was a custom class called the Witch Hunter, designed for him by DM Matt Mercer. Geek & Sundry has released the class as a nine-page PDF! "In a landscape tormented by all manner of beasts, devils, and abominations from beyond the veil, most live in fear of the dark, of superstition, and of the unknown. Some grow hardened by this experience, instead choosing to stand up and fight against the tide of shadow. These folk are called 'heroes'. Some, however, are so fanatical and bent on destroying the anethema that plagues the countryside that they embrace dark, forbidden knowledge. They so obsessively research forgotten magics and dangerous, experimental alchemy to become the perfect hunter that their humanity is often called into question. These folk are called 'Witch Hunters'."

Find the PDF over at Geek & Sundry here. It's a fully illustrated 20-level class for D&D 5th Edition, with three Orders to choose from - Order of the Ghostslayer, Order of the Profane Soul, and Order of the Mutant.

Watch Vin Diesel's D&D game below.

[video=youtube;yLEMb_RIZ3o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLEMb_RIZ3o[/video]

Orlax

First Post
The thing about the Ghostslayer though is it only gets the devil's sight at 15th level, where as the Mutant gets darkvision at level 3 if you choose the mutagen. With the campaign taking place probably exclusively in the underdark and ending around level 15 I dont think the ghostslayer vision ability will be used much. Also I don't understand why you would rate the mutagen as the weakest, it has some of the classes strongest abilities, namely cruelty, precision and reconstruction with side effects of course. I just dont see how 3-4 extra damage per attack beats a whole extra single attack at level 10, or critting on an 18-20 at level 12 (19-20 at level 7), or regenerating half your level in hp every turn at level 7, hell even increasing your dex score by your con modifier is nearly as much extra damage with the added benefit of also increasing accuracy, AC, initiative, dex saves and skills by the same amount and that's at level 3. The Ghostslayer is just far too bottom heavy to be as good in my opinion, all the really cool features are level 15+, am I missing something big that makes it so much better than the Mutant?

Frankly I was going to say the downsides were too rough (disadvantage on all saves, half healing) but I was reading reconstruction totally wrong (I'm not even sure how I misread it the way I did). It throws way more healing in than I thought. Heck that makes the class fairly survivable. I'm gunna go ahead and reverse my position on that about now. So yeah sorry bout that poor advice earlier folks.

MoutonRustique

Explorer
Just saw the movie - I am still giddy about it! For my money, it rocked! Loved it.

... Man I want to play some D&D right now... Curses upon reasonable hours! Curses I say!

Nothing constructive to say, just had to share and this was the least in-appropriate place I could find with the search option... (my search-fu is quite poor, I know.)

Orlax

First Post
Just saw the movie - I am still giddy about it! For my money, it rocked! Loved it.

... Man I want to play some D&D right now... Curses upon reasonable hours! Curses I say!

Nothing constructive to say, just had to share and this was the least in-appropriate place I could find with the search option... (my search-fu is quite poor, I know.)

Was the class on point to anything in the film I'm seeing it next week so please no spoilers.

MoutonRustique

Explorer
Was the class on point to anything in the film I'm seeing it next week so please no spoilers.
W/o any spoilers, the "first part" of the movie is where we see what we'd usually see in a D&D game and one path of the presented class would fit rather well - on the other hand, there are other classes which could probably serve (seeing as it's not a D&D game, and it's not like we're seeing "class abilities" in play with subtitles indicating die roll results ;) ) But yeah, one path would be a very good fit for the main character.

I found the movie very similar in "feel" to Constantine (the movie), my GF thinks I'm completely wrong - so... maybe not. Don't go in expecting "Inception or the first Matrix -level" of mind-blowing : it's a fun movie. It's got Vin Diesel (and his awesome voice - I count both as standalone characters), Bridgitte and even Frodo! The sets are very cool and look very good. The acting is actually pretty good! The dialogue didn't make me cringe once (which is saying something!) The magic is actually pretty cool.

There is a bit of "now for some exposition" which many, many, many fantasy movies are plagued with (which is understandable, but still...) But other than that, I can find no real fault. If you're one of those people who can't stand to watch a movie after you figure out the main plot... this may not be a movie for you (but honestly, how many movies could you actually watch? There were like 6 or 7 mainstream movies in the last 2 decades where the main plot wasn't pretty simple to deduce w/ the first ~45 min... so yeah - don't be that guy.)

All in all, a very good time was had by ... well, by me! I had an awesome time. My GF had a good time (but she doesn't get excited after watching a movie). We are buying a copy as soon as it hits shelves.

The first "landscape" scene is definitely going to see "screen-time" in most DMs' games to come (in one form or another) - that I can guarantee! I know it's going in mine!

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Okay, just wanted to report, I went to see 'The Last Witchunter' yesterday. Not a terrible movie, really had some good moments, (and a great twist) but overall, meh.

Now Im feeling a bit apprehensive for the upcomming D&D movie. Anyone else saw Vinnie's movie??

Orlax

First Post
That's what this movie is looking like to me, a proper D&D movie. It makes sense considering the fast and the furious is basically D&D with cars instead of swords. I mean even including the hair brained schemes that players come up with. It's something I've always loved about Vin Diesel's movies is that they are almost always analogous to table top gaming type characters and plots. Really if I was in control of giving away the creative control of a dungeons and dragons movie I'd give it to Vin Diesel and whatever creative team he'd want to work with on it.

Zarithar

Adventurer
I really love Vin Diesel and think he is a great dude with a genuine passion for the game... but The Last Witch Hunter was a critical fail. I wanted to like it so much. My advice; go watch Vinny in Pitch Black or Guardians of the Galaxy instead.

Remove ads

Remove ads