D&D General NPC farmer & merchant levels by age

How much better is experience over youth and how would that work in game?

• No difference, all peasants are 1st level

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • A little - the experienced peasant gets a class feature like expertise at level 2

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Some - the experienced peasant is level 4 and takes a feat

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Quite a bit - the experienced peasant is 5th level with a feat and +3 proficiency bonus

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • They are l33t -the experienced peasant is 8th level with feats, expertise & other class features

Votes: 2 8.3%

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I voted level 1, because you don't have a 0 level option. Very few NPCs in my Greyhawk ever achieve anything like a class level. They can, however, become better at a particular skill because I don't require NPCs to work the same way as a PC. A master weaponsmith might have a +10 modifier while still only having 6 HP.
This is the way.

I also have given 0-1st level npcs feats or skills, much like your 4th level voting option.

That's actually four options. Note the conditional: "when". You don't need to give NPCs statistics at all.

Sure, and there is no reason every stablehand, server, or town crier needs a stat block, but that's been true of every rpg forever.

But if you go to smith to have work done that requires a skill check (fix something or haggle over prices), how much better is the 40yro than the 17yro?

Are they identical? Is the 40yro (expertise/+2) better? Are they (feat/advantage/+5) better? Are they (+5 & advantage =+10) better?

Sure, and there is no reason every stablehand, server, or town crier needs a stat block, but that's been true of every rpg forever.

But if you go to smith to have work done that requires a skill check (fix something or haggle over prices), how much better is the 40yro than the 17yro?

Are they identical? Is the 40yro (expertise/+2) better? Are they (feat/advantage/+5) better? Are they (+5 & advantage =+10) better?
How much better do you want them to be? Age is just another stat, and in this case, not the one that matters. As a rule of thumb, I would go with +4. Unless you have them billed as some kind of master craftsman they won't have more than proficiency +2 and +2 good stat.

Not even player characters get better by getting older.

while some will find that breaking immersion and want a ribbon wheat-growing ability for Roger.
Uh, pretty sure the rules say to give Roger the ribbon. If a DM thinks a background says a PC can do something, then they can do it. No roll needed. This desire to constantly provide mechanisms for stuff that just doesn't need it is understandable, but not needed.
Uh, no. Go read the original B1/B2. Very few stat blocks and those that were there were generally very abbreviated. Lots' of games do not put stat blocks on NPCs. Lots do, but lots don't.

How much better do you want them to be? Age is just another stat, and in this case, not the one that matters. As a rule of thumb, I would go with +4. Unless you have them billed as some kind of master craftsman they won't have more than proficiency +2 and +2 good stat.

Not even player characters get better by getting older.
PCs get better by doing their job, aka adventuring, having experiences where they get points.

You will note I said these NPCs have 20 years of experience at their jobs. Dealing competition, droughts, bad materials, negotiating with other vendors, random issues with the government, whatever.

I picked age 40 because its the most experienced I though a human could be without age, accumulated injuries, senility, etc applying penalties.

And its not about how I want them to be. Its a poll of when your PCs go to a random town and meet a mature adult established smith, shop keeper, apothecary, herbalist, etc what skill rank do you assign that experienced NPC vs what you give the 17yro who knows all the fundamentals.

PCs get better by doing their job, aka adventuring, having experiences where they get points.
If you look at the amount of time that passes, PCs are typically level 1 for 18 years, then go from 1 to 20 over around 2 years, then spend the next 60 years gradually deteriorating. A steady progression it is not.

I picked age 40 because its the most experienced I though a human could be without age, accumulated injuries, senility, etc applying penalties.
What kind of world is it? A real world medieval peasant would most likely be dead by 40.

And what about elves? If non-adventurers advanced with time, then all 2000-year-old elves should be level 20, should they not?
And its not about how I want them to be. Its a poll of when your PCs go to a random town and meet a mature adult established smith, shop keeper, apothecary, herbalist, etc what skill rank do you assign that experienced NPC vs what you give the 17yro who knows all the fundamentals.
As I said, nothing more than +2. These guys are extras, not heroes. But unless they are directly negotiating with PCs or something similar, they don't have skills because they don't make skill checks to do their job. The farmer works the field and the crops grow, no skill check required. The blacksmith shoes the horses, no skill check required.

Oofta

Legend
NPCs have whatever statistics I think make sense for them, they don't have levels. They rarely if ever have PC levels (some NPCs do), most commoners never see combat in their lives depending on where they live. On the other hand, some live in a war torn or otherwise dangerous area and have had no choice but to fight for their lives. In that case I may grab an appropriate monster stat block, give them side kick or PC levels, whatever makes sense.

You need an "other" option.

Remove ads