NPC Item Crafters and Gear

Garnfellow

Explorer
I seem to remember reading a rule or suggestion somewhere that NPCs with magic item creation feats should get a discount when calculating the total value of their gear. A wizard with "Craft Wondrous Item," for example, should have an amulet of health +2 at 1/2 market price. Or something like that.

Anyone have any idea where I would have read that? I thought it was in the DMG, but danged if I can find it.

Last edited:

Runestar

First Post
That seems more like a rule for PCs starting at higher than 1st lv. You can craft your own gear (saving gp at the cost of xp). So you would start out with more/better eq, but at a lower lv than the rest of the party.

Garnfellow

Explorer
That seems more like a rule for PCs starting at higher than 1st lv. You can craft your own gear (saving gp at the cost of xp). So you would start out with more/better eq, but at a lower lv than the rest of the party.
What I'm thinking of was an NPC rule. Otherwise, why ever give any NPC item creation feats?

Runestar

First Post
What I'm thinking of was an NPC rule. Otherwise, why ever give any NPC item creation feats?

No reason really. They are clearly a PC-only feat (pretty much like leadership). If you want an npc to have more gear, simply give him more and reflect it in the form of a higher cr (but note that it also means the PCs get more gear when they overcome him).

Garnfellow

Explorer
DMG 3.5, page 110. It's right under the "Handcrafted NPC" entry.
Bingo. Thanks, Edheldur!
DMG said:
When selecting gear for a spellcaster, count magic items that she can make herself as 70% as expensive as normal. This effectively treats the XP cost as an extra gold piece cost. If the item is charged, then count it as half normal value (a net 35%) and determine charges left randomly.

Remove ads