• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NPC levels. Balance. Hybrids. Example characters. Keeping it d6.

Brokenheart

First Post
Hey everyone, I'm Brokenheart (Character name I used to use),

Well, I'm having a bit of a problem figuring out balance levels for NPCs. Read various articles including the Alexandrian (which I liked quite well), as well as some others on here based on NPC level experience and what it means. People I game with like it nitty-gritty (in other words, no characters in the game world above lvl 6). Which is fine with me, due to less work. Hehe..I sometimes base NPCs on people I know, which sometimes gets me into a bit of hot water hehehe.. I have a world I've been designing for a more "Modern-esque" approach. Well...sort of. It's set in an apocalypse in which there are different stories, or scenarios to choose from. Zombies, aliens, mad scientists, crazy people on the loose, killer clowns in the house, etc. They are mainly geared toward scaring the snot out of the players. Now, I prefer to use the NPC classes -- Warrior, Aristo, Expert, or the D20 modern classes.

I typically use d20 Modern or D20 3.5. Pathfinder works also. Now, I have a player whom has an idea for a character she wants to play. A rough-tough survivalist, that's good with a shovel and a crossbow. She wanted the character to have a 16 PB with an emphasis on physical abilities and wisdom. She wants a combination of expert and warrior (fewer hit points and more skill points). In D20 Modern all characters, I'm guessing, start out at level 2. She wants a character kind of like a level 3 warrior but with fewer hps and more skill points/skills, and with only simple weapons and light armor. All I could figure out was a level 4 or 5 Dedicated (or in 3.5 a 2-3 expert/2 warrior). Now, with everyone using a 16 point buy, they have enough points to have two abilities at 12, one at 5, two at four, and one at 14. Another player has statted out a level 3 Strong with
14 dexterity, and firearms proficiency. Note:players don't get D20 modern's classes traits or bonus feats.

Her character will have 12 str, 14 dex, 10 con, 8 int, 13 wis, 8 cha. That will give her a negative to skill points, a bonus to ranged/finesse attacks. She would have about 36 skill points, the other player will have about 22 to 28 (depending on int). They will have around the same hp, and the same attack base. I don't really see much of a difference myself except her character would have more skill points and a few more skills. Is there any balance to that at all?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads