• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E NPCs: Where can I find more?

pdzoch

Explorer
Why not use the pre-gen characters from WOTC and convert them to NPCs? That's what I've done. They've provided 20 different race-class combinations from level 1-10.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Why not use the pre-gen characters from WOTC and convert them to NPCs? That's what I've done. They've provided 20 different race-class combinations from level 1-10.

Eh - depends on why you need an NPC. I tend to find that PCs are too fiddly and I prefer to stat the NPC up as a monster rather than a full character. Because if I'm not using them in combat there's no need for all of those rules and if you are using them in combat having a trimmed down set of stats makes the encounter run smoother (for me) than trying to run 2-3 full PCs in addition to the monsters on their side. (But stealing the background material off of those pre-gens is something that I've absolutely done when I needed a quick NPC and my brain was running low).

pdzoch

Explorer
Eh - depends on why you need an NPC. I tend to find that PCs are too fiddly and I prefer to stat the NPC up as a monster rather than a full character. Because if I'm not using them in combat there's no need for all of those rules and if you are using them in combat having a trimmed down set of stats makes the encounter run smoother (for me) than trying to run 2-3 full PCs in addition to the monsters on their side. (But stealing the background material off of those pre-gens is something that I've absolutely done when I needed a quick NPC and my brain was running low).

Agreed. It depends. Sometimes, I'll strip out the extra details as needed. But they tend to be my stable of NPCs when needed (or when the various other sources can not provide).

Remove ads