Nullify (Affects Objects)

Salix

First Post
This proposal deals with a modifier for the Nullify Power. This modifier allows the power to work on inanimate objects

Affects Objects +1 (the effect works on objects as well as creatures)

A Possible Flaw: Only Affects Objects –1

Objects don't make Will saves, so use the opposed power rank check instead, using the item's highest rank.

Also note that some equipment won't "restart" on its own: it'll need repair, resetting, or at least someone to hit the "on" switch again. (This is just a descriptor and part of the limitations of equipment.)

hero4hire

Explorer
This would be a 2 point version of Nullify: all effects of a Particular Descriptor (Equipment/Devices) with a Sustained duration with the descriptor that the equipment has to be repaired rather than making further saving throws.

As per Author Steve Kenson

Salix

First Post
I was just going to suggest this gets added to the approved content thread. Bront and I might need to change some of my stats based on this. I also based it off of a reply by Kenson to one of my questions. Character generation isn't neccesarily my strong point. :heh: Since Kenson didn't say anything about it, but mentioned the duration i didn't think it would cost anything extra.
Kenson said:
Here is the Kenson answer to my nullify question http://www.atomicthinktank.com/view...p=262858#262858

FWIW, I do use Nullify for just the sort of thing you're talking about, the modifiers involved pretty much come out in the wash:

Affects Objects +1 (detailed in Ultimate Power, but basically means the effect works on objects as well as creatures)
Only Affects Objects –1 (so net +0 modifier)

Objects don't make Will saves, so use the opposed power rank check instead, using the item's highest rank.

Also note that some equipment won't "restart" on its own: it'll need repair, resetting, or at least someone to hit the "on" switch again. (This is just a descriptor and part of the limitations of equipment.)

So Nullify (Equipment Type) such as "Nullify Electronics" is what you're looking for, IMHO.

hero4hire

Explorer
Heh...I am looking at Nullify in UP it doesnt have affect objects.

But basically Steve is saying the same thing in both posts;

Nullify (2 point version all powers of a particular descriptor, in this case Equipment/Devices)
Sustained if you want to guarantee it needs to be repaired.
Equipment due to its inherent limits may need to be repaired anyway
Alternate Save is a +0 bonus...So no biggie there!

I suppose a 1 point version could be taken but you could only nullify one aspect of the device at a time.

BTW the link seems broken to that post.

Last edited:

hero4hire

Explorer
Well Devices wouldnt need to be repaired without an increase in duration, the user could re-activate it normally. At least by RAW. But if you were jamming a gun or a scrambling a computer (equipment) I'd probably just have it stay broken until fixed.
Of course rule of one states the GM pretty much rules rules how s/he wants anyway.

Dr. Null's tripod would probably high opposed check I am sure. ;)

Remove ads