O.G.R.E: Online Generic Randomizer Engine

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've just figured something out. I was trying to work out how to add text together (say if you're building a list comprised of text strings - I needed to do it for my Pathfinder background generator to show a list of available traits at the end). It can be done; you need to use the following format. This adds the variables $Class and $Alignment. The ", " (comma space) in the middle isn't part if the format; it's there because I wanted to add a comma and space between them, so the output would be: "$Class, $Alignment" rather than "$Class$Alignment".

{$p: {print: $Class}, {print: $Alignment}}{print: $p} {print: $p}

evilbob

Explorer
Couple of questions, and sorry in advance if they've been answered upthread:
How far can you go on table data for specific games before you start to get into copyright issues? Also, it seems like it is not possible to edit someone else's table, correct?

For example, if I wanted to take the Numenera cypher table and add a full description from the book (or perhaps a shorter paraphrase) for each cypher, is that either possible or advisable? If it's not possible, would it be advisable for me to recreate the table on my own with that much detail? Another way to put this is: did you leave out all the description because it was a pain to type or copy/paste, or did you leave it out because that's going over the line of copyright?

Also, if I wanted to extend the cypher generator so that it included a randomized form in which the cypher took shape, it seems like I cannot modify the existing generator, correct? So I'd have to make it again myself? If so, is it possible to see/get the script for the existing cypher generator?

All in all, this is absolutely one of the coolest things I've seen on this site! Great job! :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Couple of questions, and sorry in advance if they've been answered upthread:
How far can you go on table data for specific games before you start to get into copyright issues? Also, it seems like it is not possible to edit someone else's table, correct?

For example, if I wanted to take the Numenera cypher table and add a full description from the book (or perhaps a shorter paraphrase) for each cypher, is that either possible or advisable? If it's not possible, would it be advisable for me to recreate the table on my own with that much detail? Another way to put this is: did you leave out all the description because it was a pain to type or copy/paste, or did you leave it out because that's going over the line of copyright?

Also, if I wanted to extend the cypher generator so that it included a randomized form in which the cypher took shape, it seems like I cannot modify the existing generator, correct? So I'd have to make it again myself? If so, is it possible to see/get the script for the existing cypher generator?

All in all, this is absolutely one of the coolest things I've seen on this site! Great job! :)

I left the NUMENERA stuff out because I wanted err on the side of caution. That doesn't mean that's a legally accurate interpretation, though! I would think that Monte Cook's fan use policy is the place to check. It prohibits:

Game text beyond the terms described above, even if you rewrite it in your own words. The occasional quote from the text is OK, up to half a page at a time, so long as such quotes do not provide full, playable context.

**Any complete tables, charts, creature listings, or other boxed elements from our published material.

So I would personally interpret that as reproducing the tables in full as a no-no. But, like I said, I'm no lawyer! I don't think you can actually prevent someone from reproducing mechanics in their own words, but I'm generally inclined to not upset cool game makers!

That feature's coming soon. I don't want folks to be able to wreck each others' generators, but allowing them to edit copies of them seems perfectly reasonable.

evilbob

Explorer
Excellent response, and thanks for the link! (I should have checked that before even posting.) I would absolutely agree with your interpretation of what is and is not allowed (also not a lawyer). (Well, maybe a rules lawyer...) :)

Also, great news on seeing the code from other generators so you can make your own! I'm guessing this particular example wouldn't be too terribly difficult to reverse-engineer, but others could be.

Bagpuss

Legend
Loving the replace roll feature.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/dnd_view_table.php?id=1384

However I've notice that doing [1d6+2] produces an INVALID TABLE ROLL even though the table has 10 entries.

It seems any +X on the roll gives and INVALID TABLE ROLL result.

I've worked around it for now...

{$roll: {1d6+2}}{Bagpuss(Modern Weapons)[$roll]} works
but

{Bagpuss(Modern Weapons)[1d6+2]} doesn't

just found a quicker work around.

{Bagpuss(Modern Weapons)[{1d4+6}]} works.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

just found a quicker work around.

{Bagpuss(Modern Weapons)[{1d4+6}]} works.

Oh, right. That's not a workaround, that's the correct formatting. Dice rolls are always in curly brackets. My instructions were incorrect!

The weird part is that it worked in your first example without the curly brackets, not that it didn't later without.

Remove ads