Obi-Wan Kenobi (spoilers)

Yeah, but you know a Star Wars villain stabbed through the heart is going to do that dramatic fold-in-on-themselves-and-clutch-at-the-blade pose.

Or do the movie version of the Lancelot vs Mordred fight, where Lancelot (or was it Arthur?) is impaled on the spear, but pulls himself down the spear shaft to mortally stab Mordred with a sword. I think similar has been done, or attempted, by the dying villain in various movies as well.

An enjoyable episode. I think this might be the first time in live action, that we see the force being used to pull a spaceship out of the sky. I remember first seeing it in The Force Unleashed.

It was fun seeing Vader wipe the floor with Reva with just force powers alone. They kind of copied Pai Mei from Kill Bill Vol. 2 there with those dodges.

I was a little bit disappointed that the invasion of the planet didn't involve cool vehicles of some kind. Also, the plot point of them having only a few hours to evacuate confused me. Surely by the time a Star Destroyer arrives at a planet, it can simply shoot down any ship that tries to leave said planet?

I did enjoy the cuts between young Anakin and Vader. And I thought the de-aging was pretty well done. Sure, you can still tell by the body and head size, that something is off. But to me, it wasn't as jarring as full CGI Tarkin in Rogue One. (Honestly, why didn't they just recast Tarkin as Charles Dance?)

I agree that side lining little Leia for most of the episode, is a bit sloppy. They could have done more with her evil flying droid than what they did.

Reva was pretty enjoyable in this episode. I'm not sure if I'd want to see a full Reva show though.

Ryujin

Legend
An enjoyable episode. I think this might be the first time in live action, that we see the force being used to pull a spaceship out of the sky. I remember first seeing it in The Force Unleashed.

It was fun seeing Vader wipe the floor with Reva with just force powers alone. They kind of copied Pai Mei from Kill Bill Vol. 2 there with those dodges.

I was a little bit disappointed that the invasion of the planet didn't involve cool vehicles of some kind. Also, the plot point of them having only a few hours to evacuate confused me. Surely by the time a Star Destroyer arrives at a planet, it can simply shoot down any ship that tries to leave said planet?

I did enjoy the cuts between young Anakin and Vader. And I thought the de-aging was pretty well done. Sure, you can still tell by the body and head size, that something is off. But to me, it wasn't as jarring as full CGI Tarkin in Rogue One. (Honestly, why didn't they just recast Tarkin as Charles Dance?)

I agree that side lining little Leia for most of the episode, is a bit sloppy. They could have done more with her evil flying droid than what they did.

Reva was pretty enjoyable in this episode. I'm not sure if I'd want to see a full Reva show though.
I think that Reva might work in a buddy cop - good cop/bad cop sort of series. The question is who to have her play off of?

Also, the plot point of them having only a few hours to evacuate confused me. Surely by the time a Star Destroyer arrives at a planet, it can simply shoot down any ship that tries to leave said planet?

In this case, an escaping ship had a high chance of having Obi-wan on board, so no shooting it down without Vader specifically saying so, since he wanted to deal with Obi-wan personally.

MarkB

Legend

One star destroyer probably isn't enough to maintain a blockade from orbit. But the whole ground assault seemed like a really inefficient option. We know canonically from Rogue One that star destroyers have no trouble operating in atmosphere, so Vader could have simply parked directly above the hangar bay and ordered tractor beams readied in case anyone was foolish enough to call his bluff by trying to fly out past point-blank turbolasers.

The Darth Maul double lightsaber is not actually as ridiculous as it might seem. The long handle makes it relatively viable for a skilled user to safely use. While the second blade introduces major limitations, there are also situations in which it would allow a very quick and difficult to block follow up strike with the opposite end from what they just blocked, and it also has some utility in occupying a larger space to offend multiple opponents. Key to the overall utility, however, is that when the second blade is not advantageous to have you turn it off.

Remember a key difference between a lightsaber and a real world sword is that the blade only appears when you are using it. Part of the reason it makes no sense for a real world sword is that most swords were sidearms and/or non-battlefield weapons, favored as versatile weapons that were much more convenient to carry. All that's out if you put a second blade on it.

When real people did want an impractical-for-regular-carry sword to offend multiple opponents on a battlefield they tended to go with very large single blades such as a greatsword, which also limits motion (the ground is in the way of a lot of moves you would use with a smaller two-handed sword) and requires a very-specific move set to use effectively, but which has advantages in reach and fighting multiple opponents. It's not clear why there are not "great-lightsabers", but maybe they are technologically impossible. If so the double-bladed saber fills some of the same niche.

The inquisitor blade, however, is just dumb. Even in non-spinning mode it lacks a long enough handle to use two-blades effectively even in many of the limited ways that you could. Then it has spinning mode, which basically makes it impossible to really aim the blade at your opponent at all. I can imagine spinning mode might have some utility to basically turn the whole thing into a shield against blaster fire, or generally as a defensive function, but it seems to be presented as some sort of super-offensive mode and I appreciated seeing Darth Vader defeat it effortlessly.

No doubt this show has a huge budget, but is it big enough to pull off some kind of Game of Thrones level battle?

It would have been incredible to have a bunch of AT ST's attack the base, and not just another shoot out with Stormtroopers in a hallway.

Remove ads