• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Obligatory dump stats in 4e: the irrelevance of Intelligence

Casupaa

First Post
Spatula said:
Really? Of what use is Cha, if you don't need it for your class abilities?

Well, for starters the skill bonus and a couple of feats. The more important, its a part of your character. And having a more charismatic character, should (IMO) also make for easier character interaction, also when your not "rollplaying". And that is the difference between 3.5 and 4th ed. In 4th ed. I feel like I´ve upped the stat so my "sly flourish" power does more damge, and in 3.5 I feel like taking it because that fits my character. Againg that is how I like to play D&D and i bet minmaxers will like the new style. :)

Last edited:

theNater

First Post
Casupaa said:
Spatula said:
Really? Of what use is Cha, if you don't need it for your class abilities?

Well, for starters the skill bonus and a couple of feats. The more important, its a part of your character. And having a more charismatic character, should (IMO) also make for easier character interaction, also when your not "rollplaying". And that is the difference between 3.5 and 4th ed. In 4th ed. I feel like I´ve upped the stat so my "sly flourish" power does more damge, and in 3.5 I feel like taking it because that fits my character. Againg that is how I like to play D&D and i bet minmaxers will like the new style. :)
Spatula was responding to your claim that every stat in 3.5 was somehow useful, and the suggestion that this was no longer the case for intelligence in 4th edition. In 4th edition, intelligence provides skill bonus and access to a couple of feats, just as charisma did in 3.5. Both intelligence and charisma are part of your character.

Please answer the following question: What makes intelligence in 4th edition less valuable than charisma in 3rd edition?

MindWanderer

First Post
see said:
Dexterity has another near-universal role. When battlefield conditions preclude closing to melee range, fighters, paladins, rangers, rogues, and warlords are all going to be dependent on Dex to be relevant (either because they have no ranged at-wills and so have to use basic ranged attacks, or because their ranged at-wills use Dex). Same is true of clerics who don't pick either ranged at-will, and both clerics and warlocks at ranges greater than 10.
Not necessarily true. A javelin has an impressive 10/20 range and is Heavy Thrown. Str is all you need there.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Lizard said:
Batman is a striker in his own comic and a warlord when he's on a team. Just like Captain America is a Fighter in his own comic and Warlord when he's on a team.

Spiderman's a munchkin with Web at-will. :)

I always though Batman filled more of a controller role when in a group, he handles the minions and then goes off to do research while the heavy hitters tango with the villain of the week, then he comes back with something to disable said villain so the others can subdue it. On the other hand Superman is the leader with inspiration, while being a defender that hits as hard as a striker too...

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Incenjucar said:
In the movies there are no d20s.
Huh, I guess you were serious. Okay, I'll re-phrase to make it clearer:

- Knowledge: only the highest result matters.
- Stealth: only the lowest result matters.
- Perception: every result matters individually.

It's irrelevant if I dump Int, so long as there are enough other party members who don't.

Now do you understand?

Cheers, -- N

Casupaa

First Post
theNater said:
Spatula was responding to your claim that every stat in 3.5 was somehow useful, and the suggestion that this was no longer the case for intelligence in 4th edition. In 4th edition, intelligence provides skill bonus and access to a couple of feats, just as charisma did in 3.5. Both intelligence and charisma are part of your character.

Please answer the following question: What makes intelligence in 4th edition less valuable than charisma in 3rd edition?

Mechanicly, its correct, theres not much of a difference. The whole difference lies in the fluff, wich is non-existant in the mechanical monster that is 4th ed.

Remove ads