D&D 5E Obojima: Tales from the Tall Grass

overgeeked

B/X Known World
There previous kickstarters are vanishingly small in comparison and there are other 5e settings, even anime ones, not nearly as successful.

But if they had an idea props to them.
Well, yeah. On one hand you have an RPG for Avatar: The Last Airbender…one of the most beloved animes (yes, I know, don’t @ me) of a generation. On the other hand you have Cartel…the PbtA game of checks notes narco traffickers and others intertwined with the Sinaloa Cartel in Mexico. Yes, their previous campaigns were dwarfed by Avatar.

darjr

I crit!
Well, yeah. On one hand you have an RPG for Avatar: The Last Airbender…one of the most beloved animes (yes, I know, don’t @ me) of a generation. On the other hand you have Cartel…the PbtA game of checks notes narco traffickers and others intertwined with the Sinaloa Cartel in Mexico. Yes, their previous campaigns were dwarfed by Avatar.
I meant D&D. But good point.

So they knew what they had on their hands? Do you think?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I meant D&D. But good point.

So they knew what they had on their hands? Do you think?
That it would hit almost $10 million? I really doubt it. That it would pass $2 million? Almost certainly. I mean, just about everyone with kids when Avatar was first airing knew the show was huge.

agrayday

Explorer
if one looks at how many RPG's are in this theme (I posted them in a different thread), it isn't like this is new territory. I think 1985 games did a lot of work to set the table, the artist they have, is really selling it, and obviously people were hungry. We will see how much of it actually hits tables vs going into peoples collections.

Watching some people on the dice tower saying "i have to have "Ghibli" in my mind to RP this game, and that's hard i need the art" makes sense. Why i think this is more people getting to collect it vs play it.

It is surprising how many people i run into who have no idea who Studio Ghibli is.

R. Talsorian Games looks to have something coming up in a similar vein as well.
  1. BESM
  2. Ryuutama
  3. Fabula Ultima
  4. Break!!
  5. ICON
  6. Colostle
  7. Heroes of Cerulea
  8. Relic
  9. Ryne
  10. Shepherds
  11. Console / Super Console
  12. Forgotten Ballad
  13. Monster Care Squad
  14. The Door Locks Behind You
  15. Dust of the Traveled Road
  16. Emerald Legendarium
  17. The Magical Land of Yeld
  18. Old School Stylish

Last edited:

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Now comes the hard part, frankly. I think it's possible to do this as a D&D setting, but it will require real work to create a structure that incentivizes and supports that sort of play. Looking forward to what's to come.
I love thinking about these kinds of design challenges. Even more than coming up with a new rules set, innovating upon an existing system to fit a design goal is so much fun.

if one looks at how many RPG's are in this theme (I posted them in a different thread), it isn't like this is new territory. I think 1985 games did a lot of work to set the table, the artist they have, is really selling it, and obviously people were hungry. We will see how much of it actually hits tables vs going into peoples collections.

Watching some people on the dice tower saying "i have to have "Ghibli" in my mind to RP this game, and that's hard i need the art" makes sense. Why i think this is more people getting to collect it vs play it.

It is surprising how many people i run into who have no idea who Studio Ghibli is.

R. Talsorian Games looks to have something coming up in a similar vein as well.

Sorry for the aside. I've seen one piece of artwork from a teased R. Talsorian game. I didn't know it would be Ghibli-esque. Is there a place for more information on the game besides that one teaser image?

Remove ads