Obscure Spelljammer setting question

FoxWander

Adventurer
There was a mention in one of the setting books that named the material crystal spheres are made of. Does anyone else remember reading this and happen to recall that name? Or what book it was in? Any clues even would be helpful. Thanks.

FoxWander

Adventurer
Hmm, 42 views and no one else recalls seeing this. Maybe I did just imagine it? Or maybe none of you were spelljammer fans?

Would a question like this be appropriate to put on the main page? If only because there it would get a wider audience than just the folks who read the rules forum. I only put it here because this is supposed to be the place for older edition questions.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I was a big fan of Spelljammer...but I simply have no recollection of them saying what the material was.

Doesn't mean they didn't define it, it just means I can't remember if they did or not.

insanogeddon

First Post
I cannot recollect any specified material crystal spheres or crystal shells were called. Sure you don't mean the "phlogiston" thats inbetween or Astromundi or sphere wall?

If its anywhere I doubt its in a source book but it might be in "the broken sphere' an out of print spelljammer book I have never read.

Sometimes its postulated as some sort of ceramic but thats about it.

Sunking

First Post
always a spelljamer fan- but as the other say can't remember if ever having seen such a detail.

But Keeping my eye on the answer

FoxWander

Adventurer
I cannot recollect any specified material crystal spheres or crystal shells were called. Sure you don't mean the "phlogiston" thats inbetween or Astromundi or sphere wall?

Well, I'll be asking the original question in the main forum in a sec, but I'm confused about the last part of your question. Of course I know about pholigiston in Spelljammer but the crystal shell and the sphere wall are the same thing- unless I've completely missed or forgotten something. Is there a reference to a "sphere wall" that was NOT talking about the crystal shell/sphere?

The Astromundi Cluster was a campaign set in a crystal sphere in which all the planets had been destroyed and only a vast asteroid field remained. I know there was some effect that made it easy to enter the sphere but hard to leave, and some other spell-related weirdness, but I don't recall the exact details. Why do you mention it? Was there some special material mentioned in the boxed set?

Brace Cormaeril

First Post
pg. 9 of the Concordance of Arcane Space says, "the sphere consist of unbreakable, dark, ceramic material, of unknown origin... All appear as great, dark, featureless spheres of unidentifiable matter."
I hope this helps, but if you were looking for sources beyond basic boxed set, I got nothin'...

Remove ads