• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Observations about Chainmail/OD&D. . .

T. Foster said:
Another thing I've never done (but always kind of wanted to) was to revert to the Chainmail system fot combat involving mooks -- so if you've got a Hero and 12 men-at-arms vs 20 goblins, the men-at-arms count as heavy foot, the goblins as light foot, and the Hero as 4 armored foot (meaning when attacking the goblins he rolls 4D6 and any roll of 4+ kills a goblin).
I think the AD&D rule that allows Fighters to have a number of attacks equal to their level against "mooks" (i.e. opponents with less than 1HD) is a nod towards that rule. You could make it closer by ruling a hit as an auto-kill against such enemies.

jdrakeh said:
[Edit: Since it has been mentioned, in true grognard fashion, I'm using the designator "OD&D" to refer to Original D&D which was only ever published as three little digest-sized booklets offered in woodgrain, brown or white boxes. So, I am not referring to the later Basic, B/X, or BECM editions of D&D when I say "OD&D".]
Thanks for explaining that. I now know what BECM stands for. Basic, Expert, Companion, Master... Thus, the version of DnD that I was originally introduced to plus the I for the Immortals baxed set (Wrath of the Immortals) that I got much later.

Thank you.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Hrothgar Rannúlfr said:
Thanks for explaining that. I now know what BECM stands for. Basic, Expert, Companion, Master... Thus, the version of DnD that I was originally introduced to plus the I for the Immortals baxed set (Wrath of the Immortals) that I got much later.

Thank you.

No problem. There's a lot of confusion surrounding the shorthand, as many people use "OD&D" to erroneously refer to all versions of D&D prior to AD&D or to refer to the three different versions of Basic D&D (Holmes Basic, Basic/Expert, and the later BECM line) without knowing that the 1974 of D&D even existed (or how drastically it differed from subsequent versions of the game).

WSmith

First Post
Philotomy Jurament said:
I think the AD&D rule that allows Fighters to have a number of attacks equal to their level against "mooks" (i.e. opponents with less than 1HD) is a nod towards that rule. You could make it closer by ruling a hit as an auto-kill against such enemies.

This is something I really like in theory. I am sure we can hammer it out at the OD&D board. Perhaps a fighting sweep of some kind. I am all for stocking up a temple with a ton of goblins ripe for slaughter. :)

JDJblatherings

First Post
I always found this interesting:

. "of the attacks, i.e. a Troll would attack six times, once with a +3 added to the die"

so the troll would get to roll six to hit rolls one of them at+3.

Last edited:

WSmith

First Post
JDJblatherings said:
I always found this interesting:

. "of the attacks, i.e. a Troll would attack six times, once with a +3 added to the die"

so the troll would get to roll six to hit rolls one of them at+3.

That is correct. That is not the whole story though. The chart must be referenced to see just what die roll constitutes a hit on the target.

RFisher

Explorer
T. Foster said:
weapon-choice became too important

Of course, this is the whole reason that the man-to-man chart interests me. It allows weapon/armor choices to be more interesting.

With the standard weapon-based damage, a few weapons (most hits/gp) & armors (lowest AC/gp) tend to be nigh the only things used. There are various ways to counteract this, but none that I find very satisfying.

With the older fixed damage or the newer class-based damage, weapons become little more than window dressing. Which I tend to prefer, but not necessarily all the time.

The Chainmail man-to-man chart, however, needs tweaking. It may work fine if you're using the whole Chainmail man-to-man system (taking into account weapon classes, for instance), but for the way I'd like to use it (as a replacement for "to hit" rolls with all modifiers shifted to the damage roll), I think it needs some changes.

But my group hasn't shown enough interest in playing that way to bother working on it. Yet.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads