• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Odd way for dragon to kill PC

Bob5th

First Post
This happened last night when I was DMing. Great Wyrm casts Harm at the PC monk. Dragon fails to overcome his spell resist. I didn't have a problem with that. Then the PC started laughing at the dragon for not getting his spell through. The dragon who WAS going to spead his attacks up decided to focus on PC monk instead. He's hurt but not dead. He goes ethereal and heal himself a little. He then becomes unethereal and decides to use his abundant step to get on the dragons back who happened to be a 170' in the air. The dragon who has haste going takes thr time to fly straight up 500' and then decides to polymorph himself into a fly. The PC monk falls 670 taking away the few hitpoints he had and leaving him for dead.

Wikidogre

First Post
Glory!!!!

just like the time i had an adult red dragon, clamp down onto the big fighter man of my pc's party, and aim his mouth up toward the hole in the mountain side, and used his breath weapon to hurl the poor fighter (a flame) sky ward, and falling 900ft, to finish off his death. then the rest was history for the remaining pc's. I love it when pc's get stupid and try to slay a dragon!!!!!!

bravo bravo

Vaxalon

First Post
Nice story, but I don't recall seeing anything that said that the red dragon's breath had any 'gust of wind' type effects going with it...

If I ran this PC, and the breath attack dind't kill him, I'd be a little peeved at the extra damage from the fall. Nine hundred feet, indeed!

Wikidogre

First Post
nor did i but i used the genaralization that a dragon has to take a deep breath. then use his breath weapon, using its huge lungs to blow the pc out of its mouth.

Vaxalon

First Post
Let's say that he wasn't blowing him, but throwing him. The "Snatch" feat says that the thrown victim travels ten feet, and suffers 1d6 damage per age category - in this case, 12d6. I could take that to mean that the same amount of force would be generated by dropping 120 feet. Since the same amount of energy would be required to fling it up, I'd say that the guy would go 120 feet in the air.

That is, if the dragon was able to get a good seal around the victim's body. Put a pingpong ball in your mouth, pull back your lips (lizards don't generally have lips) and hold it in your teeth. Now blow.

Last edited:

mmckalips

First Post
Odd way for a PC to kill a dragon?

...but was the monk able to stay on the "dragon-fly" the whole way down, thus completely squishing it on impact?

Later!
Gruns

Valicor

First Post
Re: Odd way for a PC to kill a dragon?

mmckalips said:
...but was the monk able to stay on the "dragon-fly" the whole way down, thus completely squishing it on impact?

Later!
Gruns

I'm not sure, that is why I asked. I assumed the humans large body engulfed the poor little fly before it could fly away.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Re: Re: Odd way for a PC to kill a dragon?

Valicor said:

I'm not sure, that is why I asked. I assumed the humans large body engulfed the poor little fly before it could fly away.

That would only occur if both dragon-fly and monk were both in freefall - which they weren't because Dragons can fly and so had greater lift. I'd say that the fly might have got caught but was quick enough to escape - Reflex save perhaps?

Remove ads