• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Odd way for dragon to kill PC

mmckalips

First Post
...and whether or not the monk had his chopsticks with him...

Daniel Larusso: Hey, wouldn't a flyswatter be quicker?
Miyagi: Man who catch fly with chopsticks accomplish anything.

Later!
Gruns

Cullain

First Post
Re: Re: Odd way for a PC to kill a dragon?

Valicor said:

I'm not sure, that is why I asked. I assumed the humans large body engulfed the poor little fly before it could fly away.

But why would the fly be directly underneath the monk? Dragons are rather large creatures, there's plenty of spots that the fly could have appeared at besides the worst possible spot he could have appeared at.

Cullain

Bob5th

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Odd way for a PC to kill a dragon?

Cullain said:

But why would the fly be directly underneath the monk? Dragons are rather large creatures, there's plenty of spots that the fly could have appeared at besides the worst possible spot he could have appeared at.

Cullain

This was my reasoning as well. When you have a 40x80 dragon whats to say when he becomes the fly he appears in a exact spot under a 5x5 PC?

nameless

First Post
Why didn't the monk go ethereal again as he fell? It takes more than one round to fall 670 feet. Even in vaccuum, it takes 6 seconds to fall 576 feet. And why was the dragon allowed to circumvent the normal restriction on polymorph to Diminutive creatures on the smallest end? He would also be able to slow fall any distance if he could get within arm's reach of a wall/tree/cliff before he splatted. Lastly, what's to say that a very high level monk wouldn't have the balance or the reflexes to grab the fly (even 20 feet away) and take him down also.

Sorry, but I think you treated your player unfairly in this one.

-nameless

Sodalis

First Post
Vaxalon :
That is, if the dragon was able to get a good seal around the victim's body. Put a pingpong ball in your mouth, pull back your lips (lizards don't generally have lips) and hold it in your teeth. Now blow.
Actually, based on the skull structures of a TRex, it is theorized that they do have lips.

The proof for this is that in both its upper and lower jaws, there are many small hole, that are thought to support the blood vessels for the lips.

Also, the teeth are serrated as a Komodo dragon, which has a septic bite. (Komodos have lips too). The lips are there to provide a moist, warm environment for bacteria that feed off of the rotting food that gets stuck in the serrations of the TRex and komodo. Without lips, the teeth would dry out and the bacteria cannot grow. The septic bite is just an infection from the many deadly strains of bacteria that live in the komodo's mouth.

edit: took out some misinformation- thank you for pointing that out-

oh yeah- and in the MM, it states thata dragon does have lips (specifically the metallic ones- copper ones i think)

Last edited:

Xarlen

First Post
Where was the monk Positioned? I would figure the dragon-then-fly would be positioned where the Middle of the dragon would be.

The monk couldn't have the reflexes to grab the fly, if the fly was even 10 feet away. There's nothing for him to Jump off of, he's free falling. If you think he can move ten feet with nothing to push his weight off of... then somehow, we have a flying monk.

There might've been like... No trees, cliffs, walls, etc? He went right into the sky.

Besides, the dragon likely had a higher Con. It could've taken a Deep breath, and kept flying up, until the air thinned. When Monk starts loosing air, the dragon just shakes him off, barrel rolls, etc.

nameless

First Post
Reflexes assume the physical transformation isn't "Poof. Dragon to fly." If the dragon gives any indication that is will polymorph (spells do in fact have these clues), the monk's sharp senses and good reflexes would allow him to jump slightly before he is in free-fall. This isn't some high school gymnast... he is a high level monk and as such is the peak of physical perfection. And this still doesn't explain why the monk couldn't become ethereal again and stop himself.

-nameless

Yuan-Ti

First Post
Years ago, in a campaign far, far away, my group of PCs decided to slay the local dragon menace. They set up base camp in a nearby town and two of them boasted they were going to kill the dragon. Naturally, the dragon's spies overheard this, reported it back, and the next night one of the PCs was assassinated. The dragon hired an assassin to even out the odds.

How's that for an odd way for a dragon to kill a PC?

Templetroll

Explorer
A long, long time ago in a game far away the DM had a dragon do a bellyflop into the middle of the marching order. We had 8 players and each had rolled 3 characters since we knew the proclivities of this DM so every one chose a character to run away and the rest stayed to amuse the dragon for a round or three. The survivors got experience for the encounter so we all generally pleased and headed in the opposite direction from that town.

Remove ads