Off To War... Recriutment/Discussion

Theroc

First Post
I think by the time he reaches lvl 4 he should be trimmed down and you could give him a point in str, dex, or con to say he "got fit" but if you travel to Harkon and there is no attack for weeks and you just lounge around well all that marching may go out the window lol

HM

O.O Does that mean if Aidan finds a library-type thing and starts studying, he can 'get smart'? And just to be clear, I'm just wondering as I had planned on Aidan studying once he started showing strange traits anyway.

Dragonwriter

First Post
HM. Can we work out some sort of weight loss rules for Trinham. He started out grossly overweight but has been getting a lot of exercise of late.

I think by the time he reaches lvl 4 he should be trimmed down and you could give him a point in str, dex, or con to say he "got fit" but if you travel to Harkon and there is no attack for weeks and you just lounge around well all that marching may go out the window lol

HM

O.O Does that mean if Aidan finds a library-type thing and starts studying, he can 'get smart'? And just to be clear, I'm just wondering as I had planned on Aidan studying once he started showing strange traits anyway.

Just to add my voice in here, that may be opening up a whole nasty can o' worms, balance-wise... Would it be possible, just flavor-wise, for you to just say Trinham loses some weight, rather than trying to devise rules for it?

(And giving people ability bonuses like that could really throw things off... Without some serious limitation, it would be theoretically possible to have the 50 year old 1st-level Fighter with 30-some STR, if all he did was train and exercise. Not something that's a good idea to deal with... Anyway, just my take on it.)

Theroc

First Post
Just to add my voice in here, that may be opening up a whole nasty can o' worms, balance-wise... Would it be possible, just flavor-wise, for you to just say Trinham loses some weight, rather than trying to devise rules for it?

(And giving people ability bonuses like that could really throw things off... Without some serious limitation, it would be theoretically possible to have the 50 year old 1st-level Fighter with 30-some STR, if all he did was train and exercise. Not something that's a good idea to deal with... Anyway, just my take on it.)

I was assuming that it'd be if anything a one time bonus, DW... otherwise, I'd agree with you.

ghostcat

First Post
I was thinking more of losing 2 or 3 Ibs a week and slowly finding his clothes don't fit him any more. I certainly wasn't looking for any tangible benefits.

IF HM has no objections I think losing 1d4 Ibs for a full week of marching / fighting and 1d3 weight gain for a week sitting around doing nothing.

Last edited:

Myth and Legend

First Post
Weight doesn't work like that IRL. Muscles weigh more than fat, and it's easier to stay the same weight (or slightly lower than your usual, unless you are a tub of lard) but get in better shape and look more fit. Also, talk in months, not weeks. Losing anything more than 1-2 KG in a week is bad for your health.

ghostcat

First Post
Trinham is a tub of lard. His BMI is over 31 so he is Obese. I deliberately started him that way so he would lose weight with all the marching. In the process converting a fat, lazy country boy to a hero.

BTW 1d4 Ibs is 0.5 to 2 Kgs.

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Your right Dw i did open a can of worms

And ML is right it would be RPing his new stat gain for a 4th lvl character

You may do anything you wish with your characetrs they are yours somethings will get RP in post some will have to be done like so:

"In the four weeks Aidan spent at Harkon Manor he did not sit idley by, encountering a large library he spent his time reading histories, journals, and even studing a few books of arcane lore."

You could then say when you level up as a caster you could justifie some of the skills you take but I won't make you beholden to that remeber you don't need to work on everything for the next level now you could be preping for two or even three levels ahead. Aidan could read now and two levels later "remember" what it was on.

And a note on weight ghostcat you are using this mainly as flavor as there are no D&D overweight rules that I know of.

HM

Remove ads