Official BLADES IN THE DARK supplement announced: The Dagger Isles

Oh, I am so hyped right now about the Southeast Asian team working on THE DAGGER ISLES, which has just been announced as an official supplement for Blades in the Dark.

Pam Punzalan (Navathem's End, Public Utility Mechs, Across This Wasteland With You), Sin Posadas (Navathem's End, Lutong Banwa, My Big Fat Aswang Wedding), Makapatag (Maharlika, Gubat Banwa: Warring Nations, Karanduun), Aaron Lim (An Altogether Different River, The Outer Whorls), Tan Shao Han (Mere Gods). Philippines, Malaysia and Singapore represented so far. This is like the most amazing dream team of SEA talent working on new playbooks, factions and regions for the book.

I didn't think 2021 would bring the creators of MY BIG FAT ASWANG WEDDING, BABY'S FIRST RPG and GUBAT BANWA together to write a major supplement for Blades in the Dark but here we are!!!

An archipelago created from the corpse of a dead god (maybe). Tropic goth themes. Plants that eat ghosts.

It's gonna be great, and I'll be watching this #RPGSEA- led project with pride and eagerness. My Malaysian Blades in the Dark crew is gonna want this as soon as possible.

Last edited:

At the recent Con in the Dark 2022 event for Blades in the Dark, we learned more about Dagger Isles from a panel consisting of Nychelle Schneider, Sean Nittner and Pam Punzalan.

Nychelle Schneider talked about her work on the playbooks, and we got a juicy preview of the Inkfist, whose tattoo-based powers are derived from emotion. Its most important Action rating is Wreck!

Pam Punzalan talked about the cultural influences that the Southeast Asian team members bring to the project, and how the writing will show some ways in which the Dagger Isles has been affected by the colonialism of the Empire and by the effects of diaspora. However, she explains it's not just meant to be the "Asian" or "Southeast Asian" supplement. "The last thing I want here is that people are going to say 'this is the Asian book'...no, this is a book inspired by this, that, that, that, that...the hope is we distill this lot and say 'here is a thing you can play, and if you have questions you can ask them later.'"

I had somehow missed the original news about this, but looks really interesting. Excited to see how it turns out
Morris interviewed Pam back in Podcast #183!

Remove ads