• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Official D&D In Decline. Source Hasbro.

Zardnaar

Legend
So the "loss" is mostly the eOne writedown, that was never more than imaginary money in the first place. Not great for Hasbro shareholders, but it has no effect on the company's ability to pay its bills going forward.

Not a great result but they're not at an oh crap type moment. Bad years happen.

Job losses make sense though. Servicing the dept is going to chew up a good chunk of their profit if they pay it down at a similar level this year.

They'll be paying off eOne for a while.

Link on that page 12 doesn't reference D&D might be my phone.

The revenue part was what was referenced. We know that they've cleared the warehouses out according to these reports.

What you read is it referencing sales, revenue or something else?

1707912813370.png

h/t @mamba and @ninjayeti

Last edited:

Not a great result but they're not at an oh crap type moment. Bad years happen.

Job losses make sense though. Servicing the dept is going to chew up a good chunk of their profit if they pay it down at a similar level this year.

They'll be paying off eOne for a while.
Writedowns aren't debt. Selling eOne actually reduced Hasbro's debt, since about 125 million of it was held by eOne, and now belongs to someone else. They also used most of the proceeds from the sale to pay off other debts.

Hasbro may have hoped that they could sell eOne for more and so pay off even more debts, but hopes aren't ponies!

Regarding OGL:

the debacle did not affect me at all. But even though I am interested in planescape and so on, i have waited to buy those books, because I wanted to see how compatoble they will be with my new 2024 books. And our financial sitiation was a bit less safe due to energy crisis due to war in ukrania.

So going by my personal situation, I did not expect d&d to do great this year, without factoring OGL in at all.

I guess for an edition 10 years in with a revision around the corner d&d is doing great.

mamba

Legend
Except BG3's share of that 10% increase. That part is entirely D&D.
that is licensing fees, just like plush Themberchauds. It is not making a difference to D&D books sales, print or digital.

As stated, tabletop was flat, that is D&D to me, and I am pretty sure also what the poster I replied to was asking about…

If you want to lump in everything D&D adjacent, that just distorts the picture and WotC doesn’t do it consistently either, the movie brought down the entertainment side, not WotC

mamba

Legend
Page 12 of the power point says "Fourth quarter and full year growth in DUNGEONS & DRAGONS (+54% and +76%, respectively)"
interesting, my highlights were copied directly from Hasbro’s own summary in the first link

I also doubt that D&D tabletop grew by 50% or so, so no idea what they are referring to there, don’t think that can all be BG3 fees either, but maybe it can?

mamba

Legend
On the other hand, it was the year when the movie came out and when there was a runaway success in video games. You'd expect the inevitable not-a-new-edition dip to be countered by the corresponding bumps from those two, at least partly.
the movie counts towards entertainment, not WotC, and it was a loss

Remove ads