D&D General Official D&D In Decline. Source Hasbro.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah, the targeting and navigating in BG3 is the worst. It took me a long time to be able to look past it and enjoy the game. And even with almost a hundred hours in the game, I still get mad and turn it off in frustration when the targeting snaps to a rock or NPC instead of the monster I was trying to click on.

It's an amazing game, but targeting needs a lot of work.

Yeah if you've played other AAA titles BG3 has some flaws comparatively.

Oofta

Legend
My gut says the latter so they can get back to their own IP sooner rather than later.

The reason they created their own IP was in order to show WOTC they could handle a D&D game. In addition, BG3 made a ton more money than their other games. I'd be surprised if they didn't do something more. Then again, I've been surprised before.

Maybe they'll do something new, maybe they'll do an expansion, maybe they'll do the next Divine Divinity game. Maybe they'll do more than one game. The only one who know is Mr. Vincke and he's not saying.

Reynard

Legend
The reason they created their own IP was in order to show WOTC they could handle a D&D game.
Is this documented somewhere, or just supposition? Because the interviews I have seen with Sven indicate that they care A LOT about their IP and the games they make that they own.

Sorry for this little off-topic, but I didn't want to create a new threat.

Hasbro CEO Teases "Universes Beyond" Style Content for Dungeons & Dragons​

* My opinion is Hasbro plays with a special adventage and it's thanks with contacts with other companies then licencing should be easier for D&DB comparing with other VTTs.

Maybe D&D Beyond should allow space for other systems. Even WotC could start from zero a new game system, relatively easy to be adapted to d20 5e, but with different leveling up. Maybe Hasbro could talk with Paradox Entertaiment and we could see a new edition of Chronicle of Darkness, the same crunch and factions but without a metaplot linked to our real world. And maybe later also other Onyx franchises (The came from.. Trinity, Pugmire, Scarred Lands..).

---

It is normal when a new edition going to be releases to see apparent previous sabbatical year. D&D hasn't lost brand power in the last months, but they are too busy in this new project.

* If there is a merger between WarnerDiscovery and Paramount, Hasbro has got a partnership deal now, maybe we could see more licenced titles.

Oofta

Legend
Is this documented somewhere, or just supposition? Because the interviews I have seen with Sven indicate that they care A LOT about their IP and the games they make that they own.

I never said they didn't care about their IP. It's one of the reasons I said we may see DD3 instead of somethingrelated to or a sequel to BG3. I'm not going to Google it for you, but they've stated in interviews that one of the reasons they made the games they did was explicitly wanted to make BG 3.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
The reason they created their own IP was in order to show WOTC they could handle a D&D game.
Larian was created when WotC didn't own D&D yet. What I've understood from the Larian folks is that they've been D&D fans for a long while, but they never had the money/size for a D&D license/game. Until after the success of their Divinity Original Sin game (and WotC/Hasbro went a little more relaxed on licensing)...

Before their Divinity games they actually made a game they 'sold' to Atari and then Atari left the PC games scene. They made some other games, even something that was called "The Lady, the Mage and the Knight", worked with another studio to make it a DSA game (The Dark Eye RPG). That project went belly up though.

Swen even indicates that his first ever RPG was Ultima VI. For the first Divinity game they looked at Diablo and BG, but "Ultima VII was the base line". But in a 2000 interview, about Divine Divinity, not once did they mention D&D.

They created their own IP because that was the cheapest way to use an IP...

Larian is great, but they aren't the second coming, and BG3 hasn't been 28 years in the making...

Source:

Zardnaar

Legend
Larian was created when WotC didn't own D&D yet. What I've understood from the Larian folks is that they've been D&D fans for a long while, but they never had the money/size for a D&D license/game. Until after the success of their Divinity Original Sin game (and WotC/Hasbro went a little more relaxed on licensing)...

Before their Divinity games they actually made a game they 'sold' to Atari and then Atari left the PC games scene. They made some other games, even something that was called "The Lady, the Mage and the Knight", worked with another studio to make it a DSA game (The Dark Eye RPG). That project went belly up though.

Swen even indicates that his first ever RPG was Ultima VI. For the first Divinity game they looked at Diablo and BG, but "Ultima VII was the base line". But in a 2000 interview, about Divine Divinity, not once did they mention D&D.

They created their own IP because that was the cheapest way to use an IP...

Larian is great, but they aren't the second coming, and BG3 hasn't been 28 years in the making...

Source:

Think BG on steam sold ten times as many copies as active users on Beyond.

It's sold more than 5E and broke a billion in revenue. That's more than the entire 5E run.

That excludes console sales.

Remove ads