D&D General Official D&D In Decline. Source Hasbro.

mamba

Legend
I've seen estimates thar BG3 grossed nleth of a billion dollars, so WotC lice sing fees legitimately can be that.
the fees can, but that has zero (direct) impact on the tabletop sales, which is what I was talking about (and Hasbro said were essentially flat)

mamba

Legend
But the increase in online activity was about 1000%, a full ten-fold.

And frankly I think it did boost sales: the core rule books are still selling like gangbusters on Amazon, and in other stores per the Bookscan data. Unprecedented for ten years old RPG books, and I doubt Hobor Among Thieves didn't help (BG3 helped more).
no idea what helped or how much, they were selling great 8 years ago as well without a movie or BG3. That being said, I do not see either of them hurting, I just have no evidence of a significant boost because of them

Hasbro said tabletop grew at 1% over the year, which means D&D dipped a little as MtG grew by 2%. How much the dip would have been without HAT and BG3 is hard to estimate

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
This isn't good news. Combined with the fact that we have a release date for the books that is really late in the year and not a lot of product before that. I was looking at the modules and thinking "ah, so this is going to be designed with the new rules in mind, right?" Now that we know when the new books are coming out, that's a no. They went from being a "hey get this great module for the new rules" to product for the end of an edition, which does not sell as well.

A lot of people are just saying, "nah, it'll be fine" to this news or somehow saying the messenger reading the report from Hasbro is unreliable. And while I'd like to believe that, I think that getting to the end of the third quarter with no new video game to inject money into the division is going to be rough. And I'm not hopeful that there won't be more "unforced errors" in the mean time.

So the game I love is going through hard times.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
agreed, but if someone wonders how D&D is doing, I assume they mean the game, not the brand, esp. on this forum
They're both important, for different but related purposes. If the brand is doing well that suggests more investment in D&D, good things for employees and for releases.

Hasbro said tabletop grew at 1% over the year, which means D&D dipped a little as MtG grew by 2%. How much the dip would have been without HAT and BG3 is hard to estimate
Didn't the slideshow show D&D up 54% for the fourth quarter and 76% for the full year? Am I misreading that?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
This isn't good news. Combined with the fact that we have a release date for the books that is really late in the year and not a lot of product before that. I was looking at the modules and thinking "ah, so this is going to be designed with the new rules in mind, right?" Now that we know when the new books are coming out, that's a no. They went from being a "hey get this great module for the new rules" to product for the end of an edition, which does not sell as well.

A lot of people are just saying, "nah, it'll be fine" to this news or somehow saying the messenger reading the report from Hasbro is unreliable. And while I'd like to believe that, I think that getting to the end of the third quarter with no new video game to inject money into the division is going to be rough. And I'm not hopeful that there won't be more "unforced errors" in the mean time.

So the game I love is going through hard times.
tumblr_o52w85w4ay1rggt7to1_500.gif

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Didn't the slideshow show D&D up 54% for the fourth quarter and 76% for the full year? Am I misreading that?
That's the sidebar on page 12 of the slideshow, which is for "franchise brands," which I assume folds in everything licensed under the D&D banner (i.e. BG3 revenue).

Contrast that with the bar graphs on page 18 of the slideshow (and pay close attention to the fine print at the bottom of the page).

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
The game is much more questionable.

D&D the game grew year to year, it's in his statements. And they expect it to grow next year. It had a down quarter. A single one. Notably, a major product was supposed to release that quarter and didn't

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
D&D the game grew year to year, it's in his statements. And they expect it to grow next year. It had a down quarter. A single one. Notably, a major product was supposed to release that quarter and didn't
According to page 18 of the slideshow, its 2023 annual "revenue bridge" was up by a total of 0.1%, and that's factoring in other WotC tabletop properties such as M:tG.

Now, licensed properties (such as BG3) and "digital games" (which includes D&D Beyond) did slightly better, but for D&D as a tabletop offering, that's still just 0.1% for the entire year. Likely less when you factor in Magic.

Remove ads