D&D 5E Official D&D Next adventure VAULT OF THE DRACOLICH now available!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The first (aside from the limited Gen Con release of GHOSTS OF DRAGONSPEAR CASTLE) D&D Next adventure has been released for sale. It's called VAULT OF THE DRACOLICH and was designed for the June 2013 D&D Game Day by Mike Shea. "Deep in the forest of Cormanthor lies the hoard of the dracolich Dretchroyaster, the prize of which is a diamond staff rumored to unlock the secrets of an ancient elven kingdom. The sage Imani is seeking dozens of adventurers to launch an all-out assault on the undead dragon's lair. The dracolich is a powerful foe - too great for even several parties to conquer - so it's going to take all of the heroes' courage, cunning, and speed to survive the dracolich's deadly vault." The adventure is for four to six 4th-level characters, and is also designed to accomodate four groups playing at once in a convention environment, entering the dungeon in a different location. You can grab it from dndclassics.com for $4.99.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
It's awesome that they're selling PDFs of new adventures. I'm glad it's not just "classics" anymore.

I wonder if they'll release the Sundering adventures on PDF. Maybe a few months after the print release?

Last edited:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
This is one of the greatest adventures I've run. Although you really need 3 or 4 groups all going through it at the same time to really understand how awesome it is.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Has anyone run it with merely one group of players? Or played in it as such?

If not, how would it translate to One DM/One Group?

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I haven't run it or played it that way, but I imagine it would be just fine. But you'd be missing part of the magic. I think it would play about the same as any regular dungeon crawl module.

For best effect, I'd run a group of NPC adventurers behind the curtain, and have them communicate with the stones with the PC group.

fjw70

Adventurer
I hope WotC doesn't continue the hard copy or PDF approach of publishing. I want both to be available for every product.

jrowland

First Post
Has anyone run it with merely one group of players? Or played in it as such?

If not, how would it translate to One DM/One Group?

We had 8 players show up. One player volunteered to be 2nd DM (me), so we had a group of 3 and a group of 4 run it at the same time. I had the group of 3, and honestly, I think even 2 characters would have been ok with the right DM. Next is pretty forgiving, and easy enough to ad hoc.

Split your current group into two and have fun with it.

Remove ads