OGL 1.1 Phone Campaign

Sacrosanct

Legend
I worked in a call centre for many years. If you swamp their phone lines they will pay attention because it starts to cost them money
I was a supervisor/manager at a call center years ago for a large company. When the queue gets big, what happens first is the employees start getting pressured more to cut their AHT (average handle time) and micromanagement of personal time (bathroom breaks) gets worse.

It’s the reps who will suffer most, long before senior leadership gets the message.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I worked in a call centre for many years. If you swamp their phone lines they will pay attention because it starts to cost them money
You have worked on a far more functional call center than I do. I‘ve never seen a high call load result in near-term introspection by the legal or product teams.

Lojaan

Hero
You have worked on a far more functional call center than I do. I‘ve never seen a high call load result in near-term introspection by the legal or product teams.
Yes it was a good call centre. How good is WotCs call centre? We don't know.

Be careful of assuming that because the place you worked for didn't change in the face of feedback that no where will change in the face of feedback.

Also if no one calls or emails about it then it can be perceived as not a big deal. "Sure YouTubers are shouting about it but they just want clicks. No one has actually called us to complain.."

It is an imperfect solution, but infinitely better than doing nothing.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Be aware you’re going to get the people taking your calls lower NPS scores when people who aren’t wise to this campaign call in. Hope for discipline all you want. Those other people calling in will reduce their ratings, affecting reviews later.

I feel for the WoTC employees like I felt for the Twitter employees. It’s no fun when senior leadership comes in and makes your life hard for a job you have to have just to pay the bills.

I don’t know how large WoTC call center is, but it’s probably small. I would be surprised if they had software integration that tracks and reports reasons for the call like larger companies have.

Honestly, there are only two things I see really getting the attention of the execs. Losing a lawsuit about revoking the old OGL, or literally having no one sigh on to the new one.

I guarantee you it will get attention if no one uses the new OGL, no one reports earnings, and no one reports products. Stakeholders will have questions they will demand answers to, since the whole reason was to further monetize the brand and no one ends up using it.

WotC has folks keeping an eye on social media trends, they know exactly what's going on, they already know a huge backlash is occurring from multiple angle, they threats of lawsuits already.

I think the reason for WotC's complete radio silence is it's an complete radio silence is it's an complete chaos.

I haven't seen anything like this since 4e, only worse because the Player base is bigger and largely undivided and turning either rage on WotC/Hasbro instead each other.

As someone who works in a call center myself, please be civil and remember that the person who answers the phone likely has very little power or influence over the situation. Remember that the person you will be speaking with is not really the person you want to hear you. The representative on the phone is most likely overworked, underpaid, and just trying to survive to the next bathroom break.
I just want to endorse all of this... and say your script is excellent.

“Hi! My name is X, and I would like to express my concerns about the next iteration of the Open Gaming License. I believe that the proposed changes to IP protections and royalty collection will significant harm to the Dungeons & Dragons community, as well as negatively impact the value of the game itself. Above all, I believe that the language revoking the previous OGL significantly harms the public image of Wizards and Hasbro, as it represents act of bad faith to the Creator Community. If the new OGL is published without such protections, it will significantly impact my decision to support Wizards of the Coast and Hasbro in the future. I thank you for your time and your patience while listening to my concerns. Goodbye!”

I could not have hoped in a million years when I clicked this title to see such a professional and nice answer. We aren't savages, we don't need to yell or make some phone jockey's day miserable, but WE DO NEED TO LET THEM KNOW.

my only suggestions is be smart. Don't call 100 times. Call once for sure a second time another day is great, but if you find yourself doing it multi times a day and/or more then 3 times a week you should consider it is not the best look for the movement.

Also, if you’re sent any kind of survey after the call, please leave high reviews insofar as they pertain to how your call was handled. That can affect the phone rep’s stats and compensation, assuming their company is anything like mine.
this goes for every call. I know those Survey's are annoying but say you will do them and give the rep a good score (Unless they themselves were being jerks or unreasonable)

let me tell you, when call centers have above average call times more then 1 or 2 days in a row it is a company wide notice. I have not been in a call center position in a while, but I have friends in them still and I work with companies that have them in house and ones that out source.

5 calls on Monday will not be noticed. 100 calls over the week will have accounting running reports.

Remove ads