OGL 1.2 survey is now live

mamba

Legend
Every year, new kids become old enough to watch Stranger Things or Critical Role for the first time. And WotC is working hard to attract new young players to the "brand" hoping they'll eventually start playing, with and multiple books aimed at young readers (1 2 3 4).
just like the local pusher handing out the first hit, and much with the same goal

Which is probably why they want to push the 1.2 OGL so hard. They want to be this family friendly game that attracts young teens to the game, and don't want that jeopardized by offensive or needlessly adult products with "D&D compatible" slapped on the front.
because they have such a hard time doing that today...

FormerLurker

Adventurer
Why do you have the urge to tell everyone what they should do, including how they should protest what you want them to do in the first place...

Everyone is free to boycott however they feel like. If a table continues to play 5e and buy 3pp books but nothing from WotC, that does the import part, it cuts WotC off. If they move to another game instead, even better, but they are allies either way. The only ones who are not are guys like you who say we have to swallow whatever WotC is dishing out for some greater good that seems to boils down to WotC's profit when you take a closer look.
I dunno. Because it would be nice if everyone did something productive? If we all worked to make a difference instead of infighting? If instead of meaningless gestures that WotC won't notice we focused on the issues we actually could influence. Because all the most passionate people here are just sitting around in verbal circle jerk wasting everyone's time?

mamba

Legend
The problem with the ORC is that we can't get orphaned works out of the old OGC commons without WotC being involved. It would have to be done through the ORC being an "update" to the OGL, which is a power that WotC actually holds.

If WotC transferred their copyright and their right to update the OGL over to this non-profit foundation that's being set up for the purpose (or an existing foundation that can be trusted to serve as a custodian), that would probably be the best solution.
agreed, but that is outside anyone's control but WotC's

I dunno. Because it would be nice if everyone did something productive? If we all worked to make a difference instead of infighting? If instead of meaningless gestures that WotC won't notice we focused on the issues we actually could influence. Because all the most passionate people here are just sitting around in verbal circle jerk wasting everyone's time?
You're free to leave this conversation if you think it's a waste of your time.

mamba

Legend
A free account can be cancelled. But anyone that has bought any books might be less likely to cancel.
And, really, if it includes free accounts and non-subscribers that actually makes the 50k figure less impressive, as it draws from the pool of 10 million-plus users and not the much smaller pool of subscribers. And cancelling a free account means WotC hasn't lost any money.
sounds like no one knows whether the 50k is cancelling the subscriptions or having their account deleted, and even if we knew that, we still would not know what the other number is, let alone what both numbers are by now, they could easily have doubled or tripled, the story certainly kept on spreading. So all of this 'math' of yours is pointless.

The one thing we do know however is that this is what got WotC to look up, so that number is not as negligible as you would want us to believe

Yes. It would. And if we'd been coordinating and actually working on the issue here instead of kvetching, we could have outlined a half-dozen key points and all posted them to the survey in an organized fashion. We could have identified more problems in the license beyond "deauthorizing."
not sure who the 'we' here is, but this is what the people here have been doing, did not see you ever contributing to that discussion though... so 'we' were doing it, while you told us how futile it is

I haven't posted here in over a year and returned explicitly to call out the leaks are horrible and atrocious.
because they besmirch WotC's good image, no doubt

Now, I'm grimly accepting things.
looks more like happily embracing from where I stand

I don't want to let the perfect get in the way of the good.
we do not have 'good' yet

Sounds like an end to 3rd Party Products to me, as they can no longer sell enough copies to offset expenses.
For example, Kobold Press' Wastes of Chaos Kickstarter: Wastes of Chaos: Enter the 5E Borderlands
$212,559 pledged of $50,000 goal. If it was for a system with a quarter as many players, that'd be a quarter of as many backers,
yeah, but your math is off. Do one KS for all systems (minus WotC's), 90% of the stuff can stay the same, and the monsters and items you do for each in a separate booklet, or just include them all. Plenty of material is not released for a single game already. This approach would increase, WotC is out in the cold, sounds like a great outcome to me

Last edited:

Remove ads