OGL 1.2 survey is now live

mamba

Legend
I dunno. Because it would be nice if everyone did something productive?
most of us are I believe, I do not see you pitching in though

If we all worked to make a difference instead of infighting?
see above, it is mostly you that everyone disagrees with

If instead of meaningless gestures that WotC won't notice we focused on the issues we actually could influence.
I can walk and chew gum at the same time

Because all the most passionate people here are just sitting around in verbal circle jerk wasting everyone's time?
if you feel that way, you are free to leave

Xyxox

Hero
Having dug into the Foundry API as well as the 3D compatibility I can start to see the real fear of WotC with regards to the VTT space. I figured out that I can easily take all of these 3D model files I've been using for printing and incorporrate them into a VTT campaign. I can't sell them or give them away, but I can certainly use them in my Foundry games that I host.

And there are tons of free STL files that can definitely be shard for this VTT experience. The Foundry API is exceptional for use as what WotC has been advertising as the goal for their tabletop, only with foundry you can do a complete set of adventures using nothing but FREE STL files! Some of the STL file creators also include Blender base files which are usable wihtout conversion, though it's easy enough to convert to the needed formats easily.

With a little more manipulation, I don't need a WotC VTT to get that experience for my players in my campaigns, I can easily put together an experience that will outdo anything WotC spends millions of dollars on with 350 developers because the 3D assets I would use are freely available and easily manipulated for the purpose of a 3D VTT. Other than spell effect and lighting effect animations, it could also be considered the same as a real tabletop experience, so long as I don't use an Unreal Engine to animate those assets.

I can see, however, a Foundry API that can hook into Unreal, and that would alter completely the VTT space to a point where WoitC could never really monetize it like they want. It seems to me what WotC is attempting now is to keep Foundry from doing the work to bring the Unreal Engine into the capabilities of the Foundry API. Honestly, I don't see it as much of a hurdle for Foundry other than the loss of revenue from 5E users.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Cancelling accounts also creates a support ticket. (As does filing a complaint.) You're reading what you want to read.
Admittedly it is unclear in that article and it does include those details in the same paragraph making it seem like they were talking about deletions.
Especially as outright deleting accounts would be a stupid thing to do. You'd lose all your books you've paid for. And since you can't come back, there's no reason for WotC to make any changes. If you cancel, there's a way for them to get you to return...

However, the support team is also understaffed AND was just returning for the two week holiday break. So a not insignificant number of those tickets were likely unrelated.
I really doubt a lot of people cancel or delete accounts in a two week period. Especially during the holidays when they are busy with other things.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Wait, what holidays?
It's late and I thought he said holidays. If not, my bad. Even so, I doubt many cancel or delete accounts during a two week period. The vast majority of those would be due to the news.

Anyway. As I said.....................late. Good night. :)

Edit: He did. "However, the support team is also understaffed AND was just returning for the two week holiday break. So a not insignificant number of those tickets were likely unrelated."

It's late and I thought he said holidays. If not, my bad. Even so, I doubt many cancel or delete accounts during a two week period. The vast majority of those would be due to the news.

Anyway. As I said.....................late. Good night. :)

Edit: He did. "However, the support team is also understaffed AND was just returning for the two week holiday break. So a not insignificant number of those tickets were likely unrelated."

I mean, that dude also miscited deletion requests as cancellations, so I wouldn't take everything they say as gospel.

dave2008

Legend
no it absolutely is not, it can be revoked just as easily as 1.0a (or easier, because 1.0a is older so might be protected by its old language)
I disagree, but in truth I am talking about what 1.2 can be, not what it is now. i have repeatedly explained there are areas that need correction. That needs to happen. If it doesn't, then I agree 1.2 has serious issues.

However, most importantly for me is...I am so tired of this discussion and negativity. I need / will stop commenting on OGL threads once I've finished responding to responses to this post. I was initially excited about all the possibilities of ORC and Black Flag, but the negativity has just soured me on the whole community. I need to take a break from the community and focus on enjoying the game.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
WotC's attempts to de-authorize 1.0a are, IMO, the entire issue. Everything else relates to it.
Sure, but in truth that is separate (sort of) from the OGL 1.2.

However, most importantly for me is...I am so tired of this discussion and negativity. I need / will stop commenting on OGL threads once I've finished responding to responses to this post. I was initially excited about all the possibilities of ORC and Black Flag, but the negativity has just soured me on the whole community. I need to take a break from the community and focus on enjoying the game.

Remove ads