• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OGL Magazine?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I thought about this the other day while in my FLGS. I was looking through the magazines dedicated to roleplaying and felt a twing of loss at not seeing DRAGON or DUNGEON Magazine there anymore. And there really isn't anything to fill the void, IMO.

Yes, Paizo produces the Pathfinder modules and soon there will be the Pathfinder Companion, but I want something more beyond that. I'd like an OGL Magazine that isn't dedicated to just one game company or OGL game system. The magazine could include material for D20 Modern, Grim Tales, Mutants & Masterminds, Pathfinder, True20, and anything else that qualifies as being OGL.

Considering that the OGL isn't going to be supported by WotC anymore, I think we here at EN World could get together and create our own OGL Magazine. It could be sold as a PDF through RPGNow or it could be done as a free fan-based magazine. It could even be made into an actual physical product, eventually. Anything is possible if it was done right and had the support of the majority.

Anyway, it's just a thought.

KF72

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
Rock on. :cool:

It would be awesome.

Did you mean all OGL systems, by the way, or just the ones based on the d20 SRD or d20 Modern SRD (like M&M and Spycraft, f'rex) . . .? Because, yeah, there are a few others around now - Mongoose's Runequest is one example - which have pretty much nothing to do with d20 system mechanics, but are published under the OGL.

Greylock

First Post
I haven't paid all that close attention to KQ although I've looked it over, but I somehow got the distinct impression that KQ is looking towards 4th Edition. Am I wrong? And wouldn't that violate the GSL if KQ tried to cover both OGL and GSL products?

Greylock said:
I haven't paid all that close attention to KQ although I've looked it over, but I somehow got the distinct impression that KQ is looking towards 4th Edition. Am I wrong? And wouldn't that violate the GSL if KQ tried to cover both OGL and GSL products?
Before that restriction appeared, Wolfgang was planning on supporting both editions as long as there was interest. Since that restriction was leaked, he's been less warm to 4e. He hasn't made any official announcement in either direction, and will probably prefer to wait until the final license is public so that he makes an informed decision, AND as typical with all of Open Design, will probably go in the direction the patrons (and magazine fans) want him to go.

So, it's currently pretty much up in the air last I saw, as to which edition KQ will be supporting.

Brutorz Bill

First Post
I thought KQ was going 4th ed also? Don't they have a recent article for 4th ed gnomes?
If KQ stays OGL, I'd be interested. I REALLY miss Dragon coming to my mailbox! I just have zero interest in an online version of a gaming magazine.

GMSkarka

Explorer
The problem is (and has always been) that the number of gamers who say that an OGL Magazine would be cool is far, far greater than the number of gamers who would actually purchase said magazine.

Believe me, if we (or any other publisher) thought that there was any possible way to launch such a magazine and have it actually be viable, we'd do it in a second.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
GMSkarka said:
The problem is (and has always been) that the number of gamers who say that an OGL Magazine would be cool is far, far greater than the number of gamers who would actually purchase said magazine.

Spoken for truth. Tried it twice, both in print and PDF. Gave up on that idea long, long ago!

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Aus_Snow said:
Rock on. :cool:

It would be awesome.

Did you mean all OGL systems, by the way, or just the ones based on the d20 SRD or d20 Modern SRD (like M&M and Spycraft, f'rex) . . .? Because, yeah, there are a few others around now - Mongoose's Runequest is one example - which have pretty much nothing to do with d20 system mechanics, but are published under the OGL.
I didn't mean all OGL systems but that could be an interesting way to do it too.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
GMSkarka said:
Fair enough.

GMSkarka said:
Believe me, if we (or any other publisher) thought that there was any possible way to launch such a magazine and have it actually be viable, we'd do it in a second.
Okay, then the question becomes would a FREE, fan-based OGL (PDF) Magazine be a viable alternative? Think how Action Check was for Alternity after that game system was cancelled.

Do you think third-party publishers like Green Ronin, Paizo, etc. would be willing to give official (non-financial) support to a fan-based OGL Magazine? This would be a magazine that is 99% open source and that anyone can submit an article too.

Just thinking/typing out loud here.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads