Level Up (A5E) OGL Question

Faolyn

(she/her)
So you're going to be providing "Open Gaming License and free compatibility logo." But would I need to also include the D&D OGL as a separate thing as well, or does your OGL cover both LU and o5e? I've never tried to publish any gaming books before and aren't sure what to do.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There’s only one Open Gaming License. There isn’t a D&D OGL and a LU OGL. Many games use the OGL, some not even related to D&D.

My best advice is to download and read the OGL. It’s fairly short, and fairly clear. After that, if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I can’t offer legal advice, but I’m happy to help where I can.

Staffan

Legend
My first advice: listen to Morrus. He's been doing this for a while so he knows what he's doing.

My second advice: The relevant part here is, I think, section 15 of the OGL. This is where you list both your own book, as well as any source you're incorporating OGC from. Note that you need to include the full section 15 of any source you use. For example, let's say I want to publish a book that includes the Beer domain from Midgard Heroes Handbook. If I do, I have to include all of this in section 15 in my own book:
1630197781042.png

And then I add my own product, something like: Staffan's Big Adventure © 2021 something something.

And the Beer domain doesn't really have anything to do with "Deep Magic: Elven High Magic", but I still need to include that in my section 15, because it's listed in the source I took the Beer domain from.

Also, did you notice what isn't on the list above? D&D. D&D is not open content. Wizards of the Coast has released a System Reference Document which is open content, and which mirrors much of what is in the core books, but they are not the same. If you want to publish stuff, you would do well to leave your books somewhere out of reach and rely on what's in the SRD. You don't want to accidentally include a wizard who can cast Bigby's hand and get a nastygram from Hasbro's lawyers.

Faolyn

(she/her)
My first advice: listen to Morrus. He's been doing this for a while so he knows what he's doing.

My second advice: The relevant part here is, I think, section 15 of the OGL. This is where you list both your own book, as well as any source you're incorporating OGC from. Note that you need to include the full section 15 of any source you use. For example, let's say I want to publish a book that includes the Beer domain from Midgard Heroes Handbook. If I do, I have to include all of this in section 15 in my own book:

And then I add my own product, something like: Staffan's Big Adventure © 2021 something something.

And the Beer domain doesn't really have anything to do with "Deep Magic: Elven High Magic", but I still need to include that in my section 15, because it's listed in the source I took the Beer domain from.

Also, did you notice what isn't on the list above? D&D. D&D is not open content. Wizards of the Coast has released a System Reference Document which is open content, and which mirrors much of what is in the core books, but they are not the same. If you want to publish stuff, you would do well to leave your books somewhere out of reach and rely on what's in the SRD. You don't want to accidentally include a wizard who can cast Bigby's hand and get a nastygram from Hasbro's lawyers.
Thanks!

My book is going to be a collection of new heritages and cultures (let's face it: 8 heritages simply isn't enough). While several of them are based on "official" races, they all have very much had their serial numbers filed off, with different names and somewhat different abilities, and nothing that's been copied from anything specific from D&D. I did check the OGL and made sure I didn't include anything on their no-fly list.

Edit: I will say it's weird that, as far as I can tell, both Feywild and Shadowfell are open for use but Underdark is protected.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
The best advice I can offer is this: If you plan to publish, consult an IP attorney who can walk you through the license.

rules.mechanic

Craft homebrewer
Not sure if the other two ways to publish D&D material are relevant and would be really interested to know:
  1. Via the WotC Fan Content Policy, if you're publishing for free (I see some donation/ads allowed). Game mechanics are a confusing issue since game rules are by definition not copyright/IP.
  2. Or via DMs Guild (not recommended: policy not available for link but needs a close read as it doesn't let you distribute your copyright anywhere else even for free; also would need to be very careful not to include any A5E copyright).
It looks like the Fan Content Policy can be used for works that also include material from the OGL, so Option 1 may be possible? If so, would be great. I currently make use of it for the Tome of Variance project - the next edition is coming out September and I was then hoping to align it with A5E (not least as my own groups will change over!).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Not sure if the other two ways to publish D&D material are relevant and would be really interested to know:
  1. Via the WotC Fan Content Policy, if you're publishing for free (I see some donation/ads allowed). Game mechanics are a confusing issue since game rules are by definition not copyright/IP.
  2. Or via DMs Guild (not recommended: policy not available for link but needs a close read as it doesn't let you distribute your copyright anywhere else even for free; also would need to be very careful not to include any A5E copyright).
It looks like the Fan Content Policy can be used for works that also include material from the OGL, so Option 1 may be possible? If so, would be great. I currently make use of it for the Tome of Variance project - the next edition is coming out September and I was then hoping to align it with A5E (not least as my own groups will change over!).
Neither of those apply to publishing for Level Up. The OGL is the correct route to take for this particular topic.

Remove ads