Ohio Gameday (January 18, Ohio State Campus)

DanMcS

Explorer
gunter uxbridge said:
I'm also looking for players to start a new campaign since the last one went to hell. This looks like a nice opportunity to "network." :)

Oh. Hey. Psst. Hey. PSST!

Seriously, where were all these columbus gamers when I posted on the Gamers Seeking Gamers forum? Heh.

It's looking like the 18th is going to be the day (hey, who suggested the 13th, we should beat that guy up... doh, it was me. Sorry bout that. I was just agreeing with ashockney though.) Any word on the Ohio Union?

I'm pretty sure I can come up with a good Legacy of Kings Birthright one-shot for then. That would really need ten or a dozen players minimum, and could theoretically support as many players as wanted to play- I'd end up needing co-DMs at that point though.

Crothian

First Post
DanMcS said:

Seriously, where were all these columbus gamers when I posted on the Gamers Seeking Gamers forum? Heh.

I posted in there last April or May and found my new group within a few days. It's a good place.

Enkhidu

Explorer
Clear Dragon said:
Looked into the 18th and 19th just now and it seems like the Ohio Union has available rooms that day. I will stop in their office tomorrow and see how much they run.

And what did the Ohio Union say?

ashockney

First Post
It's looking like the 18th is going to be the day (hey, who suggested the 13th, we should beat that guy up... doh, it was me. Sorry bout that. I was just agreeing with ashockney though.)

Hey! I'm "Calendering" Challenged, OK!

Any word on the Ohio Union?

Another beautiful place is The Blackwell, over at the new college of business. I've had a couple of great seminars over there.

Clear Dragon

First Post
The conference suites in the basement (rqange in size from holding 20-40 or pepole depending on which room and table layout) run 50 bucks a piece unless I get a registered student organization to sponsor it, in which case the first three rooms are free. If I can get a hold of the president of SPS (society of physics students) I'll see if she will agree to sponsor it, though i am not sure if they are a registered organization. If that fails I will try MGAOSU. Though myself not being a member, and wanting to reserve a space that they themselves would normally take(they must not have scheduled for next quarter yet) might make that more difficult.

DanMcS

Explorer
Clear Dragon said:
The conference suites in the basement (rqange in size from holding 20-40 or pepole depending on which room and table layout) run 50 bucks a piece unless I get a registered student organization to sponsor it, in which case the first three rooms are free. If I can get a hold of the president of SPS (society of physics students) I'll see if she will agree to sponsor it, though i am not sure if they are a registered organization. If that fails I will try MGAOSU. Though myself not being a member, and wanting to reserve a space that they themselves would normally take(they must not have scheduled for next quarter yet) might make that more difficult.

50 bucks? That's no problem. If you can get the physics group, great, if that fails, just reserve them and I'll pony up the hundred- two rooms sound sufficient? We can charge a buck or three admission to make up the cost if we need to. You probably won't be conflicting with MGA, as I recall there's a ton of rooms down there, a dozen or more, and they typically get threeish.

I work right off-campus, and I'm down there constantly for class.
mcsorley@cis.ohio-state.edu if you need me for anything.

We have space (kinda)! I have to plan, I have to write...

Once the rooms are confirmed for a given date, we'll want some sort of registration system. How many people should we expect?

Clear Dragon

First Post
Ok I have the green light to reserve a name under The Society of Physics Students. Now it is a question of # of rooms and arrangement, and times. Thoughts people. Banquet style seating seems the best (round tables that seat 7-10 placed in the room(s)). There are 7 rooms still availible. 1 that holds 64, 3 of which hold about 48 in that arrangement, one that holds 24, one that holds 36 and one for 12. I know 12 isn't divisble by a number between 7 and 10, I am just going on the information put out by the Union.

So Is the 18th good?

What time (I can reserve the whole day, but some idea of starting time and ending time might be nice.)

How many are coming, and is there a strong need for seperate rooms, I can reserve up to three rooms for free.

Anyone need wheelchair access(the largest room is not ADA compliant.)

For those that aren't familar with OSU there is a parking garage nearby, I don't recall the exact pricing.

Last edited:

Mr Fidgit

First Post
would it be better/less expensive to get one big room with lots of small(er) tables for people to game on?

-and- i'm not sure this is still the case, but back in the days when i used to go to CapCon, if you were in the parking garage late enough, they don't staff the boothes (so everyone comes and goes for free:D)

Crothian

First Post
I suggest the largest room. Thanks for doing this. This is great. January 18th sounds good as well. Start at around noon? I can arrive early and set up signs if some poeple want to do that. The Union has places to eat so food shouldn't be a problem. Are those palces open on the weekend? I was never down there on Saturday.

Now, we need to start to get to word out.

Edit: Are the date and place set in stone? I don't want to start contacting people with definate information and find out it's changed. I've got some ideas on who to proceed from here after talking to Mark who organized the Chicago Game day.

Last edited:

ashockney

First Post
Excellent!

Well done Clear Dragon.

I'm in as well, and would be happy to call on the local comics/game stores. Crothian, if you don't mind my asking who have you talked with already?

For those who've hosted before, what would you suggest as the "selling points" to this little Gameday? Is it that you get some great exposure? Could you bring some of your product and sell it at the show? Could we put your name "really big" on the flyer as a "SPONSORED BY"? Let me know what you think...

Remove ads