Oi wut's dis? More rules questions! (action points and multiple targets)

hectorse

Explorer
Yup, more questions have appeared on my mind after our play session last Sunday:

ATTACKS AND POWERS WITH MULTIPLE POWERS AND AOE's

The way we did it was that the player rolled one die and compared it to all the targets, but I've seen that some people roll attack for each target. I don't know if doing it the way I do will mathematically alter the game... I like it because it's much faster but if it changes the way the game works I'll have no problem reverting it back to what the rules say

WHAT ACTIONS POINTS DO

So Actions Points are in. We used to play in Eberron so actions points are something we are used to and come to love and hate. But the way 4th implements it is different, RAW they just provide an extra std actions, the way we used it before, they provided:

-Extra std action
-Stabilization when dieing (2 Actions Points required)
-+1d6/7 levels to a d20 roll

My question is, would it be cool if I brought Eberron version of Action Points to 4th? my players didn't really get the usefulness of another standard attack right away and instead used the boost to d20 version but I am sure after I point that out, they will soon catch up.

Well that's all

Peace out ma meng

Last edited:

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
hectorse said:
Yup, more questions have appeared on my mind after our play session last Sunday:

ATTACKS AND POWERS WITH MULTIPLE POWERS AND AOE's

The way we did it was that the player rolled one die and compared it to all the targets, but I've seen that some people roll attack for each target. I don't know if doing it the way I do will mathematically alter the game... I like it because it's much faster but if it changes the way the game works I'll have no problem reverting it back to what the rules say
This makes such spells tremendously swingy. We tried the 3e equivalent by rolling one die for all monsters' saves, and it turned out to be unplayable for our tastes.

Say I hit a bunch of enemies with a fireball, and have a 50% chance of doing full damage-- enough to kill them. By the book I'll kill about half the targets, while the rest will survive to reach melee range. Though the actual number who take full damage will vary each time, over a few castings it will average close to half. Killing the whole group, or leaving all of them alive, would take a very unlikely string of luck.

But under the one-roll rule, either everybody takes full damage or nobody does. That one die has a much bigger effect on combat, so it only takes one or two rolls to turn a cakewalk into a near-TPK (or vice versa).

Remove ads