• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E OK, 5e is a little broken sometimes.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
You gotta trust me on this Tempest thing, I played one. More like "temptation". Just throw in shocking grasp cantrip and it's fine. Jesus, the Arcana domain let's you select two wizard cantrips and plop them under wisdom based cleric spells.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "trust me on this Tempest thing". You are provably wrong and others have already pointed this out. Also, why would you waste your ability maximizing the damage on Shocking Grasp when you could be using it on Thunderwave and Shatter?

Donnor80

First Post
Hmm, that was a lot of trouble. Wait, what about spellcasters NEVER getting proficiency in concentration checks, isn't that odd? Yeah, burn feats on it, but not a class feature for most casters.

Donnor80

First Post
You mean non discrimination area effect spells in confined spaces with several team members around you? Sure, maximize those and watch 'em burn. Also, you used up those slots healing, right? A cantrip would be useless, you're right. What about level six, when your lightning attacks push enemies 10ft.?

flametitan

Explorer
Hmm, that was a lot of trouble. Wait, what about spellcasters NEVER getting proficiency in concentration checks, isn't that odd? Yeah, burn feats on it, but not a class feature for most casters.

Sorcerer has proficiency in Constitution saves, and concentration is a Constitution save.

EDIT: As for healing, it's better as a tool to bring up fallen characters than to heal in combat. The gradual loss of resources is important to the balance of the adventuring day. Healing being more efficient than dealing damage is likely to have combats drag out, as I understand it.

Last edited:

Lehrbuch

First Post
Like, if you had one fighter that was having an effect that was way more profound than the damage potential of your spells, heal him. Otherwise, it is a waste, right?

Sure, depending on the party composition, and the exact in-game circumstances, it might be more effective in any given round for a cleric PC to do something other than cast a healing spell.

That's normally considered a good thing.

Rocksome

Explorer
The restricted ability to heal in combat is an intentional design feature.

Over-effective healing just makes for fights lasting longer and also takes the excitement out of combat. 5e went with the intentional design choice of healing for any particular level being modest enough to make it a tactical decision rather than a mandatory one.

You shouldn't be getting hit. The concentration check is an emergency measure for situations that you should never find yourself in.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
You shouldn't be getting hit. The concentration check is an emergency measure for situations that you should never find yourself in.

A cleric is going to get hit. Most wear heavy armor, and it's for a reason. But, they should also have a decent Con.

Remove ads