• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ok, so what's the 2011 setting...?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
At next year's Gencon in 2010, there will be no new setting announced. They will announce that 5E will be released in 2011. :p

Yeah, what we need now is more salt rubbed in old wounds. Or maybe not.

How about you not poke people where it hurts, and have a little more consideration for others in the future. Thanks.

Invisible Stalker

First Post
You sure we're not clones of eachother?

Probably new. If not, I want Greyhawk. It has the best human gods and it has the Seldarine, what more do you want.

A small part of me wants Planescape just to see how badly they screw it up.

Not a clone, lodge member perhaps?

I love 4E, but WOTC has done a brilliant job of reviving things off my most hated list in the last year, Psionics, the Assassin and now Dark Sun. So I fully expect and dread some sort of horror setting would be in the offing for next year.

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
I also would bet on new setting. I imagine the creative teams at WotC are champing at the bit to see what they can whip up, setting-wise.

Rich Baker said something similar to me at the 4E launch at my FLGS last year--he, at least, would really like to see a new setting.

My predictions?

2011: New setting
2012: Greyhawk, Spelljammer or Ravenloft
2013: New setting or one of the three above not selected in 2012
2014: Dragonlance (30th Anniversary Edition)

ppaladin123

Adventurer
When they had the new setting contest a few years ago there was a runner-up setting that became the property of WotC as well. I think it was actually the one developed by the Order of the Stick guy. Maybe it's time to roll that one out.

kitsune9

Adventurer
I would have liked to see Wizards take a slightly different route and release two settings a year, one major release--either a new setting or one of the big ones (FR, Eberron)--and a "D&D Classics" line (they could still do this), which would only be one book.

I can definitely see WotC upping the ante by doing two settings a year, particularly if they are only going to do just one setting book. That will definitely speed things up in getting all the lines out the door before moving onto new projects.

When they had the new setting contest a few years ago there was a runner-up setting that became the property of WotC as well. I think it was actually the one developed by the Order of the Stick guy. Maybe it's time to roll that one out.
Actually they bought the top 3, so there's 2 settings that WotC owns and haven't used (other than stealing bits and pieces to an unknown extent).

Kez Darksun

Explorer
If they're upping the ante and releasing two settings next year or the year after, it would be great to see Spelljammer as one of them.

From looking at the schedule for next year's D&D releases, it didn't mention whether Dark Sun will be done in the player's guide + campaign guide + one module format. It just mentioned that Dark Sun is scheduled for an August 2010 release.

Release calendar. Sorry if it's hard to read. Dark slide. #dn... on Twitpic

Remember though, the Campaign Guides & Players Guides have been released a month apart. If the release schedule only is projected out to August and the release of the Campaign Guide is in August, there is no reason to believe anything in the campaign release format has changed, it just isn't projected far enough out to include the Players Guide.

ggroy

First Post
Remember though, the Campaign Guides & Players Guides have been released a month apart. If the release schedule only is projected out to August and the release of the Campaign Guide is in August, there is no reason to believe anything in the campaign release format has changed, it just isn't projected far enough out to include the Players Guide.

They did mention that the DMG 3 is scheduled for release in September 2010. Though they didn't go any further than that.

Dragon 378: D&D Extravaganza Seminar

Hopefully a Dark Sun module will be released.

If they're upping the ante and releasing two settings next year or the year after, it would be great to see Spelljammer as one of them.

From looking at the schedule for next year's D&D releases, it didn't mention whether Dark Sun will be done in the player's guide + campaign guide + one module format. It just mentioned that Dark Sun is scheduled for an August 2010 release.

Release calendar. Sorry if it's hard to read. Dark slide. #dn... on Twitpic
I don't see any reason to think that the release strategy for Dark Sun will be any different from the one the used for FR and Eberron, and which they said they planned on using for all the others.

Remove ads