Old ads from old Dragon mags

Aeric said:
I remember seeing ads for phone sex numbers on television, too. It was nuts.

They even made a horror movie based on it: 976-EVIL. It actually made it to the theaters, too.

Ads for phone sex 900 numbers still exist. Turn on the USA channel between midnight and 4 AM and you'll see one eventually.

Also, IIRC, 976-EVIL also spawned a sequel, 976-EVIL 2.

Shortman McLeod

First Post
Deset Gled said:
Ads for phone sex 900 numbers still exist. Turn on the USA channel between midnight and 4 AM and you'll see one eventually.

Man, of all the seedy ways to get one's rocks off, I've never understood that one. $5.00 a minute? Sheeeeyah!

[Sorry for the derail]

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I fondly recall Martian Metals' ads on the back of Dragon. They were always upside down.

I also really dug some of the ads for Judges Guild adventures. I remember one for what seemed to be a book of quick encounters; the picture was of adventurers climbing around some ruins, with a vine covered demonic statue dominating the scene.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
My favourite ad from Dragon is still the "Don't Miss It!" one for Dungeon Magazine, with Bubba the Barbarian. "This here is Gephrekian Tallbow. He was an elf."

-Hyp.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
I always liked the ads for that gaming store in London, Orc's Nest, I think it was. It had a picture of an orc with his tongue up his nose.

Those hated PBEM ads currently running seem to be modeled on ads from 80's comic books advertising things like pills that will make you stronger, or x-rays glasses (you know, those ads that had the nebbish guy and the hot chick on the beach, and some jock kicks sand in the face of the nebbish guy. The nebbish guy orders the product and a few weeks later, he kicks the jock's butt and gets the hot chick back). That's what they remind me of.

JediSoth

Remove ads