[Old School Mash-Up] The City of the Sleeping Demon

doghead

thotd
Attila heads up the stairs, then stops.

"Mother of Muddy Waters," she mutters under her breath, holding up a leg to stop the others.

I've been travelling with others so ling I am forgetting how to look after myself, she thinks to herself.

"Wait here and count to ten. Then follow me up. I won't be far ahead, you will be able to hear me if I shout."

With that Attila promptly disappears.

She reappears a couple of steps up. "You can start counting now," she says before disappearing again.

Attila moves up the stairs looking to stay about a landing and a half ahead of her companions; enough to keep her ahead of the noise of their ascent.

At each landing she checks the exits. If they are closed off, like the first one, she does little more than listen for any sounds of occupation and look around for any signs of recent use. If there are open exits leading into the interior, Attila has a quick look around from the door. So long as she sees nothing threatening, she moves on up the stairs.

If at any time Attila sees something that might be dangerous, she backs off down the stairs, reappears and passes on what she has found out to the others.

Assuming nothing comes up to abort her ascent, she stops at the 8th landing and after he normals checks, reappears and waits for her companions to catch up.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Thuddar nods at Wing as he sees his comrade accompany him. He knuckles the ground to speed his ascent. "I am getting a worried feeling friend," he admits.

Electric Wizard

First Post
Wing's enthusiasm has already waned since stepping out of the sunlight. He plods up the stairwell, grunting under his pack's weight.

"I get a worried feeling there may be no food here," he says, patting his belly. "Ate nothing but bat jerky, lichen and toadstools for, how long has it been?"

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Attila, followed not too far behind by Thudarr, Wing, and the others, makes it the third floor landing before finding an unlocked door leading out of the stairwell. The mutant spider takes a cautious look. On the other side of the portal is a hallway running left to right. Several doors, most closed, line both sides of the corridor. The doors are arranged in pairs set about two feet apart with about fifteen feet between pairs. Light filters into the hall from the few open doors. Shadows pool darkly in the corners. Just as Attila is about to continue up the stairs, a shape detaches from a shadowy corner and rushes through an open door. Between the dim light and the figure's speed, Attila isn't certain what she say, but it was smallish and definitely humanoid in shape.

doghead

thotd
Attila - Female Mutant Giant Spider

Attila makes a note of the door into which the small creature disappeared, then pulls back onto the landing and reappears.

"We have company on this floor," she says and then describes what she saw.

"I have a feeling that it sensed my presence somehow, judging by the way it acted. I think we should go and have a look. Maybe it can tell us a little more about this building."

If there is agreement, Attila picks out three of the group.

"You remain here and make sure nothing comes up behind us."

With that, she heads back into the building and down the corridor to door with the other three.

Half way to their destination, Attila pauses.

"Perhaps you should lead. A giant spider coming through the front door does tend to make people nervous. I'll just follow discretely."

With that she disappears again.

"I'm right behind you."

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
As Thudarr takes the lead, he advances only a few steps before he hears an animal sound like frightened whining and whimpering coming from the open door Attila indicated.

"Maybe it's injured?" Mogullen whispers as he tightens his grip on his club.

doghead

thotd
Attila follows her companions into the room. If they listened very carefully, they could probably hear the soft scratching sound made by her claws on the floor. Unless there is carpet, in which case they probably wouldn't.

"This is unnerving."

Attila, this time, finds herself agreeing with Wing. They are starting to make a habit of it. Attila suppresses a spider grin.

Once inside, Attila will sweep around to either the left or right if there is room in order to give her a clear line of sight and put her in a position to flank if need be.

Remove ads