[Old School Mash-Up] The City of the Sleeping Demon

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!

RG | OOC

You and your companions have recently escaped the Slave Pits of the Broodmaster while being transported from the Pens to the Arena. With a combination of luck, ferocity, and desperation, you overwhelmed the Pigmen guards and made your way to the wilderness. You've been on the run for more than two weeks now, hunted by Pigmen and menaced by all manner of monsters. A desperate flight away from a pack of rot dogs forced you into a series of subterranean tunnels. By the time the rot dogs gave up the hunt, you realized you were lost. How long you wandered before you saw a distant spot of sunlight cannot be said. Emerging from the tunnels, you found yourself in the midst of an Ancient Ruin.

You stand atop of small hill after climbing the rusted steps leading up out of the tunnels. Below you, water churns. The Ancient Ruin's streets as far as you can see are flooded. These rivers flow around and through buildings. It doesn't seem as if the water is too deep. It rises to about halfway up doorways. The waters are far from clear, however, and you know the tunnels continue under the city.

"Hey," says Onslau, one of your fellow escapees, "how come them tunnels ain't flooded?"

doghead

thotd
Attila - Mutant Giant Spider Cleric 1

Attila's claws patter on the dry ground as she turns to the left, pauses, then turns to the right.

"A good question Onslau," she says softly. "This exit is above water level. The others, if there are any others, must be also."

Attila sighs softly. The long hours of guiding her companions through the darkness of the tunnels have been tiring. Attila's echolocation ability comes easily enough, but the need to maintain a constant watch over and commentary for the others was harder work. Attila hasn't spoken so much in years. Summoning her energy once more, the spider deflects the light around the little hilltop and those one it. It won't hide them all from direct observation. But it will conceal them from any casual observer.

"I would like to try and reach one of those buildings. We should be able to find a place there to rest and hide for a while. And perhaps explore a little.

"I know that water is Droainon's element. But I must admit a preference for keeping my legs dry. I suggest we try the tunnels again."

[SBLOCK=OOC]Just playing around a little with her mutations here. I am working on the assumption that Attila can make herself invisible, but the more people/space she tries to influence, the weaker the effect.[/SBLOCK]

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
The dwarvish, simian-looking Thuddar was still scared from the flight, but he resisted the urge to use his vampiric abilities upon his new allies. But the tunnels might hold other creatures whose life force he may feed upon. "Yes, I am all for trying the tunnels once more and am willing to scout it. Maybe we'll find better shelter."

Electric Wizard

First Post
Wing can't help but let out a muffled whoop as he emerges into sunlight. He had spent too long in the slave pits, separated from his beloved sun, to skulk in tunnels much longer. He frowns at Attila's suggestion.

¨Attila, what here, under the beautiful sun, is worse than what's in those tunnels? That's what I want to know. We should stay in the sun, at least for now.¨

doghead

thotd
Attila is silent for a moment.

During their time together, both in captivity and flight, they have come to know a little about each others strengths and weakness. Especially the more obvious ones. Wing's colour is something of a give away, as is her own.

Attila considers going her own way. Chance, or perhaps misfortune would be a better word, brought them together. They were not companions before they were captured so there was no compulsion for them to remain companions now. However, there were reasons for giving consideration to the idea of doing so for now. There was safety in numbers, assuming the others were not themselves a threat (and for Attila, the jury was still out on that question). So far, everyone had worked together to effect the escape. Perhaps for now she would stay with the others.

"it is not so much what's up here, but what is in there," she responds indicating the water with a front leg, "that concerns me. I do not like the idea of having to deal with something unpleasant while in there. In water, none of use will have an advantage." Which may not be true, but is as far as Attila has seen so far.

Attila lifts two fronts legs slightly before dropping them back to the ground, the spider equivalent of a shrug.

"What do you think?" she concludes, addressing the remaining members of the group.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
OOC: Yes, the pic is part of the scene before the PCs.

After everyone's eyes have adjusted to the light, more details about the area became apparent. The hill appears to be surrounded by tall buildings in varying states of disrepair. The flooded streets are wide, perhaps thirty or so feet across. The current looks rapid judging the speed that bits of flotsam pass by, and the water itself is probably two to three feet deep. It's also murky, making it difficult to see what might be underfoot. The closest building is just a few yards away. Little can be seen through the broken doors and windows of the flooded ground floor. It looks as if the ground floor is a large room with two halls leading deeper into the building, which itself looks tall enough to scrape the sky.

Electric Wizard

First Post
Wing gapes at the colossal structures, half-listening to Attila's argument. Despite his differences with the spider, he does share her qualms about drowning. He points to the edifice rising above them.

"Don't think there will be too much water if we climb."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Thuddar shakes his head, "I am sorry my friend, but not all of us here share your skill with heights. What of those that can't climb amongst us? Would you have us leave them behind?"

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
"There must be stairs or ladders in the building," says Mogullen. The halfling Narford nods, her short curls bobbing. Mogullen continues: "If we could get to the building that is. I don't like the looks of that water."

Electric Wizard

First Post
Wing grabs any long, thin piece of debris he can find and approaches the standing water on the building's first level. He prods the water with it, testing its depth.

Remove ads