D&D 5E Old settings coming back?

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
How about - publish a setting guide, and possibly setting monster book. Then publish a single adventure guide that contains (a) one full length adventure (b) a handful of encounters (c) several extensive but undeveloped plot summaries and (d) a bunch of one-sentence plot hooks, all of which are specifically chosen because they evoke the feel/experience of the setting. No adventure from the Planescape book should be just as easily published in the Ravenloft book, for example.

What you described is pretty much how Dark Sun was handled for 4th Edition: World Book, Monster Book, Adventure. I wonder how it went over (as far as sales & reception) inside WOTC?

As far as the "bringing back the creators to work on their settings" well, I think that lessens our chances of getting a Greyhawk book. : ( Clearly FR is the priority, I would guess Eberron and Dragonlance to be the next likely candidates.

I wonder if we might see something closer to what Paizo is doing: new "Mythic Campaigns" rulebook launches alongside an adventure path that features Mythic Campaigns stuff in it. If WOTC decides to do a "Keeps and Kingdoms" rules module in a year or two, it would be a perfect time to launch a Birthright setting and maybe even some adventures.

ThirdWizard

First Post
I would like Mystara, Spelljammer, Planescape, Dark Sun, and Greyhawk.

The problem is that you need adventures to support the settings.

What if they didn't release any setting books, but instead just released a set of adventures for each? I think that would be much more awesome than picking up another Dark Sun core book. Have something with real teeth to it, ya know? I'd love that!

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I think something similar to the Paizo approach would be wise. Forgotten Realms should probably get regular support for the forseeable future. But every year or two, a new setting should get a core product and support with adventure paths and the like. These additional settings would get supported in rotation. So one year, it's Forgotten Realms + Ebberon. The next, it's Forgotten Realms + Dark Sun. And so on.

Abstruse

Legend
What you described is pretty much how Dark Sun was handled for 4th Edition: World Book, Monster Book, Adventure. I wonder how it went over (as far as sales & reception) inside WOTC?

Not very well from the looks of things. They had a perfect release cycle that they completely threw out after about two years because something was seriously not working in sales. They were supposed to do Ravenloft for 4e, but it all got scrapped and they went with the Essentials release pattern and all the work that had been done on Ravenloft got pushed into Shadowfell: Gloomwrought and Beyond instead.

Aldeon

First Post
I'm getting tired of Forgotten Realms. I would prefer the default setting be Points of Light like 4th edition, just leaving the vast majority up to the DM. Even if Forgotten Realms is the default, I'm never going to use it.

I'd be interested in seeing a few titles again:
Eberron
Dark Sun/Dragon King
Spelljammer, if possible
Planescape

Please, never again with Greyhawk. That setting was so boring.

Abstruse

Legend
Again, my bet is one setting book a year (maybe two), which will be generic with no rules and edition-neutral. You'll also get 2ish genre books a year that are the actual crunch, where you get your new classes/races/feats/spells/monsters/etc. Forgotten Realms will be the default setting because they've got too many eggs in that basket. As far as other settings, I'm betting this is the release order:

Dragonlance
Dragonlance
Ebberon
Ravenloft
Planescape
Something original, probably very dragon oriented
Greyhawk
Gamma World
Something licensed (Conan or Cthulhu or something like that)
Something original, probably something with heavy politics but not Birthright
Mystara (if they still have the license)

When they're completely out of ideas, they'll do Spelljammer and Birthright and all that wacky stuff. I'd expect a sci-fi or urban fantasy port of the rules long before then.

vagabundo

Adventurer
Not very well from the looks of things. They had a perfect release cycle that they completely threw out after about two years because something was seriously not working in sales. They were supposed to do Ravenloft for 4e, but it all got scrapped and they went with the Essentials release pattern and all the work that had been done on Ravenloft got pushed into Shadowfell: Gloomwrought and Beyond instead.

Dark Sun sold out as far as I know. It became very hard to find very soon after release. There may have been other factors at play not just sales of Dark Sun.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Spelljammer, yup.
Why not combine Al-Qadim and Kara-Tur into one big "Asia"-themed book?
I always thought Birthright WAS Mystara with Kingmaker-like rules...
Bring back those Gazetters! You know which ones I mean.

Remove ads