[Olympic][b]WE WERE ROBBED!!![/b]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MythandLore

First Post
I was thinking of posting a thread like this too.
Yeah I saw it, I'm not a Canadain But, my lord, those judges are huge idiots.
It's so BS, anyone with eyes could see who the real winners were.

Shadowdancer

First Post
Yeah, I saw it. It was the crime of the (new) century. The crowd knew who won, the announcers knew who won, the TV audience knew who won -- but the judges apparently had their own agenda.

It's interesting that the Chinese judge was basically the difference. And a Chinese pair won the bronze medal. Hmmmm. Makes you wonder what kind of "agreement" the Chinese judge had with some of the other judges to ensure that the Russian pair won the gold and the Chinese pair won the bronze.

Agnostic Paladin

First Post
When have figure skating judges ever agreed with everyone who isn't them? I don't like events that have judges scoring points as the determination of the winner. Especially with the IOC being involved. (I don't like figure skating in general, but that's neither here nor there.)

MythandLore

First Post
Shadowdancer said:
Hmmmm. Makes you wonder what kind of "agreement"
You could be right.

"It's an embarrassment for our sport," said the pair's choreographer, Lori Nichol.

Skating Judges Stun NBC Announcers

"My heart breaks," Bezic said right before the medals ceremony, "and I'm embarrassed for our sport right now."

NBC's Olympic figure skating announcers were thrown for a loop by the judging in the pairs competition Monday night.

The network's Scott Hamilton, Tom Hammond and Sandra Bezic were certain they knew who had won the gold medal.

As the Canadians left the ice, Hamilton said: "There are going to be some giant, huge, high, enormous marks!"

When it was announced that the Russians had won, Hamilton was adamant that it was a mistake.

"How did that happen?" he said, adding that Sale and Pelletier "won that program, there's not a doubt for anyone in the place, except for maybe a few judges."

Last edited:

William Ronald

Explorer
I missed this, as I have been working on a few things over in the In Character forum.

Sadly, the Olympics do have a history of strange voting. There was a film about the first modern Olympics that highlighted it. (I forget the name of the film.)

DWARF, politics and sports make for strange bedfellows. You might want to see how the voting goes in other events. Something smells fishy and it's not the Great Lakes.

If it is any consolation, this is another thing the Olympics will have to live down based on what you say.

Talaysen

First Post
Yeah, I know. The Canadian pair was simply fantastic. EVERYONE thought so. I really don't know what happened there.

Although...there was that story about the female Russian skater's coma. I didn't catch all of that but it sounded like a real tearjerker. Maybe that got the Russian team some "sympathy votes" from the judges. Which is nice, but...the Canadian team was better. The Russian team was very, very good, and they did *deserve* the gold, but the Canadian team deserved it *more*.

No one should win a medal out of sympathy. I'm afraid the Russians did.

Maybe they should start awarding TWO sets of medals - one from the judges and one by audience votes or some such. That way the Canadians would have walked away with *a* gold medal in pairs figure skating.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
I saw that event and I was really pissed. First off, the Americans were totally shafted. They should have taken the bronze. I mean the Chinese skater FELL DOWN for crying out loud!!

And Canada absolutely deserved the gold medal. They skated a PERFECT program. Their scores should have been 6.0 all the way down. They got totally screwed by the judges. If I had been a Canadian skater I would have refused my medal and boycotted the ceremony much like the U.S. mens basketball team did years ago when they too were screwed by Olympic officials.

Imperialus

Explorer
I don't follow figure skateing but my mom was sure pissed. Ranting and raveing and carrying on about some consperacy theory where there were 5 countries that always voted together or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads