[Olympic][b]WE WERE ROBBED!!![/b]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ashtal, the other thing I find a bit fishy is that Bob Costas announced the the scoop fame from USA Today. I looked all over USA Today and couldn't find any such story. In fact, at all the online news sources I checked last night (and I looked a little bit this morning too) I couldn't find anything about that French judge's "comments." I'm suspicious that it might just be a rumour.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Re: Re: Re: Re: French admit pressure.

Storm Raven said:

Well, you did say it couldn't happen, and at least for that guy, it did.

And now I'll drop it.

...I swear this is my last post to this thread - but you know what I meant.

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
Another thing that surprised me...

...was when I caught a segment of the Canadian coverage before they went to Men's Speedskating. The commentator (not Ron McLean, who seems to have the day-shift, and whom I love) went onto this whole editorializing rift about the skating. I couldn't believe it!

I mean, okay, it's fine to have a strong opinion, but he started ranting and raving about corruption on all levels - just stuff that I couldn't see him reading off a teleprompter as a professional editorial or even as 'happy talk' to fill up the spaces. It just blew me away.

Not as much as hearing the phrase 'pimp-slap' (which will probably be edited out by our filter!) used as they Canadian's commentated on the Men's Half-Pipe Snowboarding, tho! Among other funky and obscuring lingo...

Since most of us have admitted that we don't know very much about figure skating, and in order to qualify the discussion a bit, I thought I would quote a person called "litlnemo" who posted an IMHO very good & thought-provoking comment on metafilter.com:
[...]

(My credentials -- I am not a judge, but I have been a low-level competitive skater in both ice and roller skating, and I would consider myself a knowledgable fan. I know judges and have discussed judging issues with them in the past.)

[...]

I haven't seen this skate yet -- it's waiting on the TiVO. But it was a CLOSE decision, folks. One judge changing his/her mind would have changed the outcome. You can't blame this on Eastern Bloc bias (unless the French joined the Eastern Bloc when I wasn't looking). It is true that European judges often value things differently from North American judges -- for example, they put a higher premium on the speed of the skating. But I don't see this as a crime.

Here, having not seen the program yet, are some things that might have made the difference, from a skater's perspective:

* Speed. Which team was faster? This is notoriously difficult to judge on TV. It may have been obvious to those sitting in the arena, though! Having been to competitions that I later watched on tv, I can tell you that speed really doesn't show up on camera at all.

* Difficulty. The consensus I've seen from folks I trust is that the Russians' program had a higher level of difficulty. Sale and Pelletier went back to an old program for the Olympics, one that is really dramatic and fun to watch, but one that is less difficult than the program they were using earlier in the year.

* Balance. Not whether they fall down all the time, but whether the program is well-balanced. For example, some skaters front-load their programs, putting all the difficult moves at the beginning and then coasting through the rest.

* Unison. This is part of the presentation score. I'm looking at the scores right now, and it looks like the presentation scores are what really made the decision. Keep in mind that despite the yammerings of commentators who should know better (yes, I mean you, Scott Hamilton), "presentation" does not mean "artistry." It does not mean costumes, or who has the best music, or whether the program is brand-new, either. Judges aren't supposed to pay attention to any of that. From the FAQ I linked to above: Presentation reflects "the choreography, flow, and balance of the program, the ability of the skaters to interpret their chosen music, and other factors such as making good use of the ice surface, skating with speed, sureness, and effortless carriage, and unison for pair skaters." It does not reflect the emotion of their skating, how much the fans like them, etc.

I could go on, but I think it would drive everyone nuts. :)

Now that I'm actually looking at the scores, though -- wow, that was close. Go look at them yourselves. The actual, judge by judge scores. I really don't think the fix was in here. I'm really looking forward to seeing the skating for myself -- sounds like it was a good event.

[...]

OK, I've finally seen the event. But I haven't had time to read any news articles on the possible collusion, so I can't really comment on that, with the exception of pointing out that even if the French judge was dirty and had decided to collude, it might be that he or she would have chosen the Russians anyway, based on the way they actually skated when it came right down to it. So even if there was collusion, it doesn't mean that the Russians wouldn't have won anyway. I'll explain why I think so, below.

[...]

Anyway, I just watched the two programs multiple times each, taking notes. Here are the notes I made (edited for MeFi). Bear in mind that while I am a skater, I am not a pairs skater, so I don't know the names and specifics of the particular lifts they do, though I do know the other elements.

Berezhnaia & Sikharulidze:

* Seemed to have good speed. Hard to tell on camera.

* Their extension and carriage were excellent. Moves were finished, right to the fingertips. (This is very Russian, btw -- that strong ballet influence.) Their body positions were gorgeous. (This goes in the presentation mark.)

* Anton stepped out of the double axel landing, but his recovery was seamless. He lost no time at all, and they did the following jump in the sequence in perfect unison. That was possibly the best recovery of a screw-up I have ever seen a pairs team make. The error in the jump landing would affect the technical score, but the presentation score would be unaffected because the presentation was not affected by the error.

* They had some wonderful original positions in their death spiral.

* There were no "dead spots" in their program. They kept moving, constantly, not stopping to rest or emote. They skated closely together and had lots of different steps and directions in between the big elements. This is overall a high level of difficulty.

* Overall, their unison was stunning. Very nice. (This goes in the presentation score.)

* My final notes for this one: "Wow, excellent classical program! Surprised at the comments of Bezic/ Hamilton." I didn't see the bobbles that they saw. (I also have no clue what the "four errors" were that Sandra Bezic referred to later.)

Sale & Pelletier

* Unison good, but noticeable unison errors in places

* Speed -- hard to tell. I thought it might have been slower, but I couldn't tell without two TVs side by side. :)

* Several places in the program where they stopped and emoted on the ice. This is showy, but it's not skating. (It also gives them a chance to rest a bit, which the other skaters didn't do.)

* Their extension was not as good -- I noticed especially that Jamie's arms were floppy and droopy in some sections. Perhaps that was intentional for the "Love Story" theme -- but if so, that was a bad decision. That is the kind of thing European judges are known for being sticklers on.

* Lifts possibly seemed easier

* Final notes: "Very, very nice program. Announcers idiots."

So, to my own shock (I like Sale & Pelletier, and really wanted them to win), I think the decision is fully explainable by the defined rules and standards of the sport. S&P did have higher technical scores, and that was probably justified by the cleanness of the program, though the lack of difficulty did hurt them here. Had they skated a more difficult program that clean, they probably would have won for sure. But the presentation mark is B&S' strength, and they didn't falter in that area, not a bit. I think, in the presentation mark, they did beat the Canadians.

It was close, though. I think you could justify either team winning this. We saw two amazing programs here. We should be happy to see that level of skating.

I wonder, though, why the announcers and crowd were so certain that the Canadians won. Bias? Maybe. It's not like I haven't seen that at skating events before. And you can skate an amazing crowd-pleasing program that doesn't deserve to win for a number of reasons, but the crowd will love it anyway -- so just because the crowd preferred B&S doesn't necessarily mean that their program was better. Still, I wish I could have been there to see it in person.

Even if there was collusion, I don't feel that the result was so obviously unjust to cause the uproar we are hearing now -- unless what they saw in SLC was completely different from what I saw on TV. (And remember, I saw it multiple times, with instant replay and slo-mo.)

----

One more thing --

The announcers should be ashamed. They didn't tell us a damn thing useful. (What elements were included in the programs? Did one team do more elements than the other? Why did you call one program more difficult -- what made it that way? What is this "one by one" scoring Scott Hamilton referred to? What were the "four mistakes" Sandra Bezic noted in the Russians' program? etc. They don't answer any of these questions -- no WONDER people are confused!)

I am disgusted, and this is only the first skating event of the Olys. I dread the men's and women's finals.

Now, off to read the news articles about collusion... (sigh)

[...]

Oh, hey, one more thing I forgot to mention. Apparently Sale & Pelletier had an illegal lift in their program -- his hand was on her thigh instead of her hip. So they weren't quite perfect in what they did. From a spectator's perspective, who cares. :) But it does matter to a judge, perhaps.

Last edited:

der_kluge

Adventurer
I can't really find anything on the controversy. This is all that I found - on msnbc.com

Russians Elena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze won the gold medal by the tiniest of margins over Canadians Jamie Sale and David Pelletier. They won a 5-4 split even though Sikharulidze stepped out of a double axel.
Veteran U.S. coach Frank Carroll questioned whether the French judge, Marie Reine Le Gougne, voted for the Russians in a deal to avenge a loss by the French dance team to the Canadians at the Grand Prix in Canada in December.
“Does that mean now the Russian judge possibly is going to give the French dance team first?” Carroll asked.
In its Wednesday edition, The Globe and Mail of Toronto reported that the finish of the pairs competition was predetermined.
Citing unnamed sources, the newspaper says a deal was struck last week that tied the pairs gold to the outcome of the ice-dancing competition.

The Globe reported that deals were made for Italians Barbara Fusar-Poli and Maurizio Margaglio to win gold in ice dancing ahead of Russians Irina Lobacheva and Ilia Averbukh.
As part of the arrangement reported by The Globe, French skaters Marina Anissina and Gwendal Peizerat would get the bronze medal in ice dancing. There isn’t a French judge on the ice-dancing panel.
Judges from Russia, China, Poland and Ukraine also voted for the Russians on Monday night while those from the United States, Canada, Germany and Japan gave Sale and Pelletier their first-place votes.
The ice dancing competition begins Friday.
“This is the worst thing that’s happened to figure skating in a long time,” Carroll said. “I can understand where, watching that, if the International Olympic Committee said, ‘We don’t want figure skating in the Olympics anymore,’ who’s going to argue with that?”
The IOC isn’t giving figure skating the boot yet, but it is “concerned,” said Francois Carrard, its director general. “The ultimate responsibility for the results lies with the ISU.”
Not only did Sale and Pelletier skate cleanly, they displayed the kind of passion fans will remember. The crowd was already chanting “Six! Six!” by the time they finished, begging the judges to award the Canadians a perfect score.
“When Jamie and David finished, I thought, ‘That’s easy. They made it easy,”’ said Sally Rehorick, Canada’s chief of mission, a former skater and judge for 25 years.
Instead, the Canadians got only four 5.9s for artistry compared with seven 5.9s for the Russians. Boos came from the crowd as the marks flashed.
The Chinese judge who favored the Russians in a tiebreaker withdrew from judging the men’s short program Tuesday night “due to illness,” according to the Olympic information network.
Sikharulidze defended the judges’ decision.
“We were the first to skate, and there was nothing to keep our rivals from getting a 6.0 presentation mark for skating after us,” he told the Sport Express, a Russian newspaper.
“But they didn’t, and that means they were not head and shoulders above us. ... So let me repeat, I think that our victory is a worthy one.”
Russian President Vladimir Putin sent a congratulatory telegram to Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze, the Kremlin press office reported Wednesday, expressing his “his sincere congratulations on the superb victory.”
Almost everyone else disagreed. Scott Hamilton, the 1984 gold medalist and NBC commentator said it was clear to him that Sale and Pelletier outskated the Russians.
“The judges really weren’t judging the program,” he said. “Maybe they’d come in with preconceived notions that they didn’t want to dismiss.”
(NBC is a partner in the joint venture that runs NBCSports.com.)
Critics of the sport have dismiss it for its subjectivity, saying it’s vulnerable to the whims of the judges.
The oldest scam is vote trading, with judges agreeing to vote for a certain skater with the understanding they can call in the debt later.
Carroll remains convinced American Linda Fratianne lost the gold medal in 1980 because judges traded votes along geopolitical lines. Annette Poetzsch of East Germany won instead.
At the 1998 Nagano Olympics, Canadian ice dancers Shae-Lynn Bourne and Victor Kraatz contended the Russians and French conspired to keep them off the medals podium. The couple that won the bronze, Marina Anissina and Gwendal Peizerat, represented France, and Anissina was born in Russia.
Advertisement

In the 1999 world championships, two skating judges were suspended after TV footage showed them glancing at each other and appearing to talk before marks were announced.
“Subjectivity in our sport is not a bad thing, as long as the subjectivity is based on fair play in the spirit of the Olympics,” Rehorick said. “I do feel the credibility of our sport could be negatively affected by this decision.”
But some people, including American skater Timothy Goebel, are willing to cut the judges a little slack. Figure skating is about details, many of which fans don’t notice.
“You just don’t know what the judges are seeing,” he said after finishing third in the men’s short program Tuesday night. “They have maybe 30 seconds to make a decision and put a mark up.”
“Hindsight is always a wonderful thing,” he said.

Ashtal? Perhaps you could split the thread in two making an open "Were Canada robbed?-thread" and a closed "Figure Skating shouldn't be an Olympic Sport"-thread?

That would make it a lot easier to read the thread, IMHO.

The announcers should be ashamed. They didn't tell us a damn thing useful. (What elements were included in the programs? Did one team do more elements than the other? Why did you call one program more difficult -- what made it that way? What is this "one by one" scoring Scott Hamilton referred to? What were the "four mistakes" Sandra Bezic noted in the Russians' program? etc. They don't answer any of these questions -- no WONDER people are confused!)
I'm guessing the guy who posted this didn't see the same program I did on NBC (which is odd, since he specifically mentions Bezic and Hamilton multiple times.) The "four mistakes" were shown in slow motion with the Canadians and the Russians doing the same element from the same camera angle side by side, with Hamilton commenting on exactly what the error was (when it wasn't immediately apparent to the layman.)

Not only that, the poster who gave that commentary himself mentioned that the Russians should have been docked technical points, if not artistic points for the stumble, yet looking at the scores (which he claims to have done) both pairs have the same technical score from three of the judges. This would also have put the Canadians in the front, if this matched the performances.

I don't know if there was collusion, and I suspect that the investigation will not be able to uncover any satisfactory evidence that there is. However, judge bias is a different beast entirely.

Last edited:

Villano

First Post
Judged "sports" or "events"?

Okay, I only read the first 4 pages, so some things I have to say may have been touched on already.

First, pro wrestling in the Olymipics? I'm reminded of a quote by wrestler Mick Foley. When asked if wrestling could be considered a sport, he responded by saying that as long as syncronized swimming was in the Olympics, wrestling was safe from criticism.

However, if it is included, Japan and Mexico would sweep the medals each year.

Getting back to the subject of judged sports, judging almost always taints the outcome. Anytime points are awarded, someone's going to question the results. I'm not even talking about things like figure skating. Boxing. Hockey. And wasn't there a basketball game years ago where a team (the Russians?) somhow got an extra free throw that won them the game?

With that said, events which are based completely and totally on judging can't really be considered sports, IMHO.

I know that some people are really going to object to what I just said, but here's something to think about: I just learned that some people are trying to get ballet included in the Olympics. Is there really much difference between ballet and figure skating? The ice?

I also heard a little mention on the news that someone in Japan is trying to get snowball fighting included in the Winter Olympics.

I'm totally behind this! C'mon, figure skating is included! And you don't even have to worry about judging. Have each team be given snowballs dyed certain colors to avoid confusion over whether or not someone got hit. :)

Add Paintball during the summer games, too!

Storm Raven said:
(2) I'm sure ratings would go up a lot if we included naked skiing and nude figure skating in the Olympics. Does that make it a good idea to put those in too?

To paraphrase Homer Simpson, "I find your ideas intriguing and would like to sign your petition." If you limit it to just the female athelets, I'll support your idea all the way.:)

(BTW, if any women out there find the above statement sexist, ask yourself how many male athelets would really participate. Men, naked, in the freezing, freezing cold? Bad, bad idea.:()

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
Splitting the threads.

A good idea, though I have no idea how to do it (and it would only result in the skating=sport? material to be locked off).

I can try, though. However, if this thread poofs into the great beyond, my apologies.

Will I have to sort through each message?

Edit: Oh god, I do. *thumps head on table*

Um. Um. I'm just going to close this one, and start a new thread. I don't have the patience to go through 100+ posts over 10 pages with only two lines as a guide on whether or not it belongs in which thread. As long as we consider the side-issue a dead one, the new thread should be fine.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads