[Olympic][b]WE WERE ROBBED!!![/b]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Storm Raven

First Post
omedon said:
But if this simple definition allows for such obvious, at least to me anyways, non-sports such as scrabble and poker to fit under the category of sport then it is a bad definition. If it doesn't work for poker. Including it as a sport when it should properly be excluded, then it doesn't work for anything even skating and the definition should be thrown out.

Nope, you miss the point. The currently used definition of sport (which includes figure skating) also fits things you call non-sports, such as scrabble, shuffleboard and poker into that definition. Bringing this up to criticize my suggestion that sport be limited to define those events in which the victor can be objectively verified has no bearing on the discussion whatsoever.

Right now, using the current definition scrabble could be considered an Olympic quality sport using the criteria apparently used to determine what should be in or out of the Olympics. Trying to say that my definition is somehow defective because it allows for the same possibility is completely beside the point.

How do you as it stands now cogently argue that scrabble and shuffleboard should not be Olympic events while archery and curling are? It seems that there isn't any, and it also seems like those events would be more worthy of inclusion than events like figure skating. Until you can come up with any reason for making the distinction between archery and shuffleboard based upon the current standards, then making any kinds of claims about the validity or non-validity of my definition on that score is entirely irrelevant.

Understand now? Or do I have to use small words?

Storm Raven

First Post
Renshai said:
What a pathetic display. Grow up and have an adult conversation WITHOUT insulting someone at the end of your post.

When someone repreatdely asks the same question, and you answer it three or four times, and they still ask the same damn question you tend to get testy.

He brought up the stupid "but scrabble could be considered a sport using your definition" argument several times. Each time I pointed out that it was irrelevant to the issue at hand. Each time I pointed out that this was because the current definition of sport includes things like beauty pageants, scrabble and shuffleboard.

And yet he dimwittedly continues to argue the same point. He just keeps asking the same question over and over again. Perhaps I should wander over to some thread you are participating in and ask you the same question over and over again and ignore your answers. Let's see if you get annoyed.

Or do you need this explained to you in small words?

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
Storm Raven...reign it in.

You've been more confrontational than most in this thread, with little purpose other than hijacking it to bash on skating.

You don't think skating should be a sport. We get this. You aren't going to convince us, and you've made it plain (to the point of rudeness) that you haven't been convinced the other way, either. Fine. There's nothing really left to be said in that matter. The rest of us, however, want to talk about the skating, the results and the news surrounding it.

Ashtal

Storm Raven

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
Again, there are objective criteria, despite your ignorant and repeated claims to the contrary. The Russian did not just "not look as good" as the Canadian, he put both feet down and momentarily lost his balance. Again, I was hardly an expert, but watching the men's competition today, the commentators were a lot more explicit about what elements were grounds for "mandatory deductions" in the technical scores. As much as you say otherwise, it's very clear that there is a codified and objective set of criteria relative to judging the technical merit of a figure skating program. Now, about the artistic aspect of it, you are entirely right.

Good way to take things entirely out of context. The point has been made that if you simply worked skating down to purely technical elements then you could have objectivity in the judging. But you can't, even if you establish those, because you still have a judge deciding what is better than the other whn both competitors execute the same routines without technical errors.

Sure, in this specific case the Russians had technical flaws that the Canadians didn't have. But that wasn't what my post was talking about. The conversation moved past that point, to the question of whether you could create entirely objective standards to judge skating by.

And I pointed out that you couldn't. If you have two skaters, both of whom include the exact same elements into their routine, and both of whom perform without any technical flaws, you still have a judge deciding one skater was more aethetically pleasing than the other, you still have a decision based upon the personal preference of the judge.

Mandatory deductions are nice, and they are put into just about every single subjectively evaluated sport at present, but they don't solve the problem. What happens when the two competitors both execute with no mandatory deductions? You have a judge deciding one guy did better because he looked nicer doing it. And that is what I have been saying should have no place in an Olympic event.

However, one thing that I'm surprised to note no one has picked up on yet: just because you define a sport a certain way does not make it so. The Random House Dictionary defines a sport as an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature. If what you think is that figure skating is corrupt, then fine: say so, but you don't have to force us all to accept your worldview about what a sport is, or what role your definition of a sport has to do with what should or shouldn't be in the Olympics.

Of course the dictionary would say that. It describes the common usage of a term, and the common usage of the term currently includes judged events. I'm saying the term should be altered to exclude judged events. I'm not trying to force anyone to accept my definition, people asked what I considered to actuall be sport, since I said I didn't think the judged events should be considered such. Lots of people jumped all over the definition, frequently with completely irrelevant arguments (see the scrabble silliness), and I defended my position.

And I pointed out long ago that it was merely wishful thinking to believe that I would ever get my way. I'm advocating what I would want if I could make these decisions. That's all.

[A good many of these questions were answered in NBCs broadcast tonight for the men's short program (real shame about both Eldridge and Stojko, BTW.) Contrary to Storm Raven's continued assertions, there are objective judging criteria related to what elements are included in the program and what is not.

In the short program, yes. In the long program, not so much. In any event, it is still irrelevant, since the artistic marks are still there, still have no metric to guide the judges other than what they think is pretty, and still count more than the technical marks. And even the technical marks come down to deciding which perfectly executed axel looked better than the other guys perfectly executed axel.

NBC also showed these elements of both pairs doing all of those elements from the same angle. There should have been a mandatory deduction from the Russians due to the less than perfect, in a quantifiable manner, mistake of the Russians. However, three of the judges gave the same technical merit score to both pairs. In my opinion, that's a clear case of bad judging, but that is the judges fault, not figure skating as a whole. The criteria were right there; they just didn't follow them.

Yes, there should have been. The fact that there wasn't (and never is, since this happens in every single Winter Olympics), just shows that figure skating as an entity is rotten at its core. This is allowed to go on, every four years the judges ignore the actual on ice events and hand the medal to whoever they think should win based on entirely subjective desires, and every four years the ISU does a lot of hand wringing and usually announces an internal investigation that goes nowhere.

But the fact of the matter is that even if the judges had taken the mandatory deduction, they still could have handed the medal to the Russians if they wanted by either downgrading the Canadians in their scoring on artistic merit, or upgrading the Russians there.

Tsyr

Explorer
It's not that we ignore you, Storm Raven. It's that, when your entire arguement is based on what you consider a valid definition of sport is, yet you refuse to pass judgement on things that fit you definition but no one in their right mind would consider a valid olympic sport, it's a bit confusing. If your definition is so clear, it should be easy to pass judgement on them, right?

Storm Raven

First Post
Re: Storm Raven...reign it in.

Ashtal said:
You don't think skating should be a sport. We get this. You aren't going to convince us, and you've made it plain (to the point of rudeness) that you haven't been convinced the other way, either. Fine. There's nothing really left to be said in that matter. The rest of us, however, want to talk about the skating, the results and the news surrounding it.

Well, my point was actually broader than just skating. It included diving, gymnastics, and other judged events. Figure skating is just the worst of the lot on that front.

But if everything was said in the matter, why is it that people keep asking the same questions over and over again? If people bothered to read the thread before posting, or actually reading the responses to their questions, then I would get far less annoyed with them. One poster even went so far as to say that he hadn't read my response to his question, and then asked the same damn question.

I don't expect to convince most people. It is too ingrained in people's minds that figure skating, rotten and corrupt as it is, is a Winter Olympic event, worthy of honoring with gold medals based upon the entirely arbitrary decisions of corrupt judges. That's fine. But when people want to know why I think judged events should not be sports, how they are different from refereed events, and what I consider to be a sport, I'm going to tell them.

Of course, if they don't pay attention the first three times I explain it, I'll get testy when they ask for the fourth time.

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
*sigh*

Save your testy for elsewere. Just because you get that way, doesn't mean you have to post that way. ;)

We have a difference of opinion - let's leave it at that and let the thread continue as it was originally intended, okay?

Ashtal

Storm Raven

First Post
Tsyr said:
It's not that we ignore you, Storm Raven. It's that, when your entire arguement is based on what you consider a valid definition of sport is, yet you refuse to pass judgement on things that fit you definition but no one in their right mind would consider a valid olympic sport, it's a bit confusing. If your definition is so clear, it should be easy to pass judgement on them, right?

No, what you are missing is that the current definition includes scrabble, poker, shuffleboard and other similar endeavors. Why do you think those shouldn't be considered sports?

Why should archery and curling be valid Olympic sports (they are), but shuffleboard is not? You are the one saying that no one in their right mind would consider things like shuffleboard to be sports. It is up to you to defend that position, since it varies from the current one.

It isn't that scrabble fits my definition of sport and therefore my definition is invalid. Because if that is the case, then the current definition of what is and is not a valid Olympic sport is invalid. Tell me why the current definition is valid on that score, but mine would not be. Until you do that, the entire line of argument on this score is completely and totally irrelevant to the argument at hand.

Really now. If "no one in their right mind would consider" scrabble "a valid olympic sport", why does the current definition (as lovingly pointed out in the Random House Dictionary) clearly place scrabble into the category of endeavors that would be considered valid Olympic sports? Answer that and then maybe there will be some substance to your argument.

Last edited:

Brainburn

First Post
French admit pressure.

The French judge just admitted to being pressured to vote for the Roooskies.

They (not sure if "they" are male or female) admitted to a vote swap for a later event.

This is why I don't watch the Olympics..

Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads