D&D General On different tones and aesthetics in D&D

Jaeger

That someone better
What I don't like: dungeonpunk (3E, Lockwood et.al.) and "newish" fanart with cute "monstergirls" , furries, and modern clothing (as opposed to pseudohistoric)
By that I mean characters in leather pants, laced "pirate-shirts" and wide-brimmed "musketeer-hats".

I know, I know, I'm decidedly old-school, but I rather see art that depicts a sense of realism (non-spiky armour, no humongous swords etc)

I guess I like a "realistic" aesthetic? (I'm not a fan of using "realism" to describe art, but it's a common term.) I like armor that looks like stuff that actual people would wear into combat. I like weapons that look like things actual people could carry, hold, and swing around. I don't like every illustrated character bedecked with dozens of little bits and bobs, ornate and impractical clothing, and spikes and protrusions that would just constantly get caught on things.

Why do I want this in a game that has wizards and dragons? Beats me! :D Maybe I just need practical-looking adventurers to ground my fantasy.

This.

For me a solid grounding for the lore and the world is what makes the fantasy elements of a setting Fantastic and Special.

Castlevania on Netflix is pretty close as to how I imagined D&D looking in my head. I like fantasy art that's a bit more modern, colorful, and elegant. More Dragon Prince or Avatar/Korra then She-Ra and Adventure Time.

And this shows that preferences vary wildly!

I tried to watch Castlevania because of the numerous mentions I have seen for the show.

I could not make it through the first episode.

I have looked into, and simply cannot make myself watch the Dragon Prince, or Avatar/Korra, or She-Ra, or Adventure Time!

The aesthetics... My eyes!

But they all have an audience that thinks they're the business!

I'm just not it.

Jaeger

That someone better
I think a lot of what a person considers "in the pale" and "beyond the pale" regarding fantasy can be tied to early influences that one gravitated toward. For example, ...

I think this is true of most people. I'm not really as wedded to the Tolkienesque tropes in D&D as a lot of people are, because I had been creating my worlds of imagination and even playing D&D, well before I had ever heard of the Hobbit or Lord of the Rings.

I think that these point are what cause peoples aesthetic preferences to bounce off of each other.

At its inception, D&D is a medieval fantasy game. Yes it pulled from different literary sources. But it was firmly rooted in medieval fantasy with sword and sorcery tropes thrown in for flavor.

This, combined with Sword and sorcery books, and Tolkien's strong parallel influence on the fantasy genre at the time has influenced what many see in their minds eye when they think of the word "fantasy".

But for lot of people newer to the game their first exposures to "fantasy" are not Medieval folklore and myth, Tolkien, Howard, or sword and sorcery anything.

As these generations start to interact we now see a wide variance in their aesthetic preferences when it comes to D&D game world visuals.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
I came up in the 80s. So for me, it was the 3 Schwarzenegger movies, Krull, Excalibur, Clash of the Titans, Beastmaster, and the like. My Tolkien influence is more from the Rankin-Bass Hobbit than the LOTR books. High fantasy with a cheesy 80's veneer.

While I may enjoy grimdark now and again for my fantasy watching, I need that bit of old-fashioned corniness in my D&D.

Stormonu

Legend
I’m a fan of Easley, Parkinson, Caldwell, Dee, Roslof and the like, as well as most 5E art (with the exception of big-head halfings). 3E’s & Pathfinder art I generally find atrocious - just not a fan of the way Wayne Reynolds depicts fantasy or gears up characters. The penny arcade and Acquisitons, inc. art turns me off entirely.

In general, I like art that looks real, but also has a fantastic element to it. I don’t want to just plop down historical cosplay like 2E tried to do, I want the ascetic to recognize this isn’t our Earth and the heroes we deal with use magic quite commonly, even if most of the rest of the world’s inhabitants don’t.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I like weird fantasy, and I'm cool with odd sci-fi aspects here and there. More Masters of the Universe than anything else, I suppose. Now that I think about it. But Fafhrd and the Mouser had their share of sci-fi-ish bits, as did Conan, as did others.

I also came up in the 2e era, but for me the greatest D&D art was Karl Waller's work in the Al-Qadim setting. I loves me some Elmore, don't get me wrong, but Waller's black and white art brought the AQ setting to life and spoke to me like no other have.

When I think D&D, these are the types of images that come to mind.

tumblr_p40jiuB2fz1wo6q1so1_1280~2.jpg
tumblr_p40jiuB2fz1wo6q1so2_1280~2.jpg

Last edited:

Jaeger

That someone better
If there's anything that 2e and its many official setting showed my younger self it's that D&D could be a whole lot of different things and still be D&D.
Another reason for disconnects depending on when people come to D&D.

3e and on have been more or less 1 setting games.

Reynard

Legend
On a quick sidenote, I'm eagerly awaiting the release of Necrotic Gnome's "Dolmenwood" campaign setting. And the artist (@pauhami on Instagram) that has been comissioned for most big pieces of artwork is simply fantastic. Have a look at these pictures, they're certainly different but soooo evocative!
69e50c371b8cef9d08bd215ecabc648b.jpg
82cbde127f83434911d9d05c85e325e3.jpg
dd79e450a38ac47a95fcebc98a643b5f.jpg
cc3534fd9c243480e0a31633ea4fac75.jpg
60244a4864bd82f0e87a690b6b2075ac.jpg
36604fe1f275e27cff56d909d80b7cc3.jpg
Those are lovely! In context of my OP, I want to point out that those do not fall into the "cutesy" category that i dislike so much. That style reminds me of The Book of the Kells animated film, in fact.

At its inception, D&D is a medieval fantasy game. Yes it pulled from different literary sources. But it was firmly rooted in medieval fantasy with sword and sorcery tropes thrown in for flavor.

This, combined with Sword and sorcery books, and Tolkien's strong parallel influence on the fantasy genre at the time has influenced what many see in their minds eye when they think of the word "fantasy".
I think this is pretty questionable - Gygax seemed to be primarily influenced by S&S with medieval fantasy thrown in, if anything. Perhaps Arneson was the other way around, but looking at early D&D materials, I see a lot more Leiber, Vance, Moorcock and so on and a lot less Tolkien, outside the basic races, which Gygax has made some contradictory claims about, at one point indicating they were basically forced on him by players. I see very little of medieval myth and lore in there. Not none, but it seems pretty secondary to a strong S&S vibe.

Indeed, if anything, it seems like AD&D became more medieval and less S&S over time. Specifically, 2E's core books seem far more "medieval fantasy" than 1E does, as does the Grey Box FR as compared to Greyhawk (which is all over the place), if you compare the books (I started playing in 1989, so just as 2E came in). A course which then more or less immediately abandoned in favour of wilder realms - the first setting, Taladas, was basically early dark ages (say, 500AD) Eurasia with some fantasy lands and a bit of the Pacific Islands thrown in for flavour. Spelljammer, Dark Sun, Planescape and so on all contained basically zero medieval fantasy.

However, I think we can both agree that it's some formulation of S&S, Tolkien and medieval fantasy.

I and I agree with:
But for lot of people newer to the game their first exposures to "fantasy" are not Medieval folklore and myth, Tolkien, Howard, or sword and sorcery anything.

As these generations start to interact we now see a wide variance in their aesthetic preferences when it comes to D&D game world visuals.
I mean, I'm 42, and my first exposure to fantasy was basically Greek/Norse myths read to me as a child, and then my first contacts with "proper fantasy"-style stuff were largely Disney via things like the Sword in the Stone, The Black Cauldron, and yes, Gummi Bears. Then A Wizard of Earthsea, which I think, more than any other fantasy novel, is burned into my soul, tonally and aesthetically. And then as I got into wargaming and D&D we have a huge rush of influences, with both D&D settings as themselves primary influences (i.e. before I'd read much of the fantasy that inspired them), and stuff like Warhammer (which itself is derived from many of the same works and even to some extent from D&D). So I guess I'm around the first generation where you start getting "circular" influences, where D&D is part of the circle.

Personally, I love a wide variety of styles. The only one I don't like for D&D is "comic book" (which 1E does a bit), because it just doesn't feel right. Even straight-up Disney feels more correct to me than '70s/80s comic-book style stuff.

I'm a sucker for some pretty severely low-key and romantic/medieval stuff too, so long as it doesn't getting too cutesy. Unfortunately the Dolmenwood stuff above exceeds my cutesy limit. Conceptually, I like it, and if you described any of the pictures to me with words, I'd probably think I'd like them, but in practice it's just a little bit too affected, too conscious in it's faux-naivety. So I see it as clever and well-executed but it lacks any emotional connection.

Remove ads