• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

On Fantasy Names (Resurrected Rant)

Samnell

Explorer
Huw said:
Have a few practice runs at pronouncing it before you unleash it on the other players :D

I'll just gargle and expectorate on them, then show them a printout. They will then praise my commitment to my linguistic principles as they hook my underwear to a line and hoist me up a convenient flagpole.

I love those guys.

Twowolves

Explorer
Once, a DM (schoolteacher) unleashed a female NPC on us (two veternarians and a scientist) named "Areola". He had no idea why we wouldn't stop laughing every time he mentioned her name.

rgard

Adventurer
Not a horrible name at all, but a friend of mine had a 1E fighter named "MECHYAR!" The caps are on purpose. Whenever the character's name was spoken in game the name was shouted. May have been done to keep us all awake.

The worst time I ever had with a FRPG was Mr. Gygax's Dangerous Journeys. I hated trying to pronounce his spellings in that system.

kenobi65 said:
I once played a Living Greyhawk game with a dwarf named Dagnabbit Stonehammer. At least the first name was non-traditional. ;)

Yeah - non-traditional except for the fact that Dagnabbit is a character in R.A. Salvatore's novels! :D

EDIT: Drat! Beaten to it!

Last edited:

Forrester

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Yeah - non-traditional except for the fact that Dagnabbit is a character in R.A. Salvatore's novels! :D

EDIT: Drat! Beaten to it!

Great name there, buddy. Ever consider self-sterilization? :eek:

Hammer_of_Tyr

First Post
The best name we ever had at the table was "emongnwal" The gnomish illusionist,

emongnwal is of course "lawn gnome" spelled backwards.

Aren't you in awe of our cleverness???

Korgoth

First Post
Kastil said:
You don't mind if I saved this list for future reference, do you?
mischief.gif

Hopefully every dwarf in your campaign will be named from that list. :p

Although "Flint Fireforge" isn't my creation and I have no rights to it. It also happens to be one of the goofiest ones on the list. :)

Remove ads