• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General On Grognardism...

I’m pretty sure I have a severe penalty to reaction rolls with my players when proposing new systems. 😅
Sadly I think I'm in the same situation. I'm going to blame my brother who once went for like 2 years never DMing the same RPG for more than like four sessions.
Three shiny imaginary nickels for the person that figures out why this thread reminds me of "We Didn't Start the Fire" and "Land of Confusion".
Great now I have to listen to Billy Joel in my head, thanks mate!

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Maybe we need new grognard terms.

Ogrognards or Original Grognards
Newnards or New Grognards.
Nexnards or Next Generation Grognards

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Maybe we need new grognard terms.

Ogrognards or Original Grognards
Newnards or New Grognards.
Nexnards or Next Generation Grognards
real madrid nard dog GIF

What about Nard Dogs? :LOL:

Just to throw another log into the fire:

There's a tendency to try and put games into "old school" and "new school" categories, but I don't think that works. You really need at least three groupings: old school (for DnD, this is mostly associated with OD&D to 2e), silver age (3e and 4e) and modern (5e).

But even that's not a great classification, because people were using 2e rules to play a lot of very different games.

smetzger

Explorer
I guess I am a grognard.
Started playing around 80, maybe earlier. Mixed 1e and basic and then 2e freely. Had lots of house rules. Later in 2e I couldn't stand to play, I had to DM because I generally did not like the house rules that other DM's had.

Also played original Traveller and a little Gamma World and some Mutants and Masterminds.

Posted on rec.games.frp.dnd and the Eric Noah's before here. Still miss rec.games.frp.dnd, threads within threads within threads that went on for 1000's of posts.

When 3e and 3.5e came along embraced it whole heartily as it was a game I could play with very little house rules and could enjoy if someone else played with no house rules.

I passed on 4e and although I haven't played 5e I am not opposed to trying it at some time in the future.

One style of play I do miss is the 'puzzle' style where you as a player must figure out the riddle how to disarm the trap etc.

Remove ads