• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

On Magic Users and Darts: What's Up With That?

A first level magic user carries, as a weapon ....

• 1. Daggers.

Votes: 23 26.7%
  • 2. Darts.

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • 3. His trusty staff.

Votes: 35 40.7%
  • 4. Doesn't matter, 'cuz he's tossing flaming oil!

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • 5. What is this "magic user" you speak of, old person?

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • 6. A horse may be coaxed to drink, but a pencil must be lead.

Votes: 4 4.7%

• Poll closed .

Nagol

Unimportant
in 1e, the big advantage of darts is the multiple attempts to strike. Since M-U's have a terrible attack matrix (truthfully it's not much worse at 1st level than anyone else, but it is pretty terrible by 5th), gaining extra rolls is very valuable to eke out some damage.

That said, having some ability in melee is good, though frankly, most characters should be using pummeling attacks until higher level/specialization kicks in.

Nagol

Unimportant
Well, I toyed around with the UA specilization rules for a while; after all, how can you argue with anything that benefits Fighters and Rangers and rubbishes Paladins? ;)

But then I discarded all of UA.

As for the non-lethal rules in the DMG ... they made the original psionic rules look good.

They are objectively a terrible fit for the rest of the combat system. Almost completely unaffected by character level, removing randomness in initiative in almost all cases, favouring Dex attackers dramatically: with damage that is way too good (pummeling) / too bad (grappling and overbearing) and obscure to the players -- they aren't even told pummeling or grappling exist as separate attack forms.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
It may have only come up if you were using the proficiency rules, if you weren't then each class was able to use all weapons listed for their class so they could carry a staff and also have some darts to throw when their magic was running on empty. I'm not sure if I started out using weapon proficiencies but when I did start using them, any magic-user I made would have had proficiency in quarterstaff to begin with because I always think of it as the traditional wizard item. Level 5 probably would have seen dagger as my next weapon. Darts would have been quite far down the list of weapons, though likely a little higher ranked than slings, so that by the time I pick up that proficiency I'd have enough spells to not worry about needing to use them.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
@lowkey13 ,

My first D&D character was a 1E Magic-User, literally named "Dartson" because he threw darts. (Ok, so I was 5 at the time...) I later changed the name to "Darson", and played him for years.

The reasoning is with low HP and AC, M-U's did not ever want to get into melee. If you were, you probably ran or hid. Darts were lighter IIRC and you could throw up to 3 a round, so once your one-shot sleep or magic missile was done... darts were the back up.

Oofta

Legend
The only things a magic user needed was the list of two spells per day they could cast and a white flag. Maybe memorize "please don't hurt me" in a cringe inducing whiny voice.

Done with your two spells for the day? Just wave the flag and surrender if anyone is going to attack you. At least then you'd have a chance to survive the encounter.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Back in the day (0E, 1e, Ya Basic), it may not have been high on the priority list, but it was sometimes necessary. Especially given the spell rules.

It may be "necessary", but remember that most of these Magic Users had zip for a strength bonus, and there was no such thing as "finesse". A melee dagger was just so ineffective, many found there was no bloody point in bothering. You were better off trying to get away than to poke with a dagger.

Remove ads