On number of ignores

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Yes - but the point is that with two habitually abusive posters it's not a ranking of which is worse. If we can identify either of them and get them to clean up, we've made the boards a better place.
Let's say we have 2 users that other both total jerks to everyone. I fully agree in that case. But there's another common use case of users that are only jerks to those that are being jerks to them. And it's that use case that is being ignored in this.

So it's not really a ranking of "who is worse" - if someone gets in arguments with many others and gets blocked a lot, that's is an indicator about them.
Anything someone does or even how others react to them is an indicator about them. The question is what does that indicate. I'm suggesting it doesn't indicate what is being claimed. That alot of blocks can be but isn't necessarily an indicator of a jerk.

And when you're looking at 130 blocks, that's a large range of people. Even if that one person never blocked, those 130 - if they are repeat offenders - will have been blocked by some of the other 130, whom we do know do block people.
Consider this scenario. The person with 130 blocks may never block other users but will reply in kind to them up to a certain extent. If those 130 people that blocked him are jerks and the guy that was blocked that many times was never a jerk to anyone else, then I wouldn't call him a jerk or a problem that needs cleaned up. Cleaning up the actual jerks will resolve any hint of jerkness from him as he's just being a 'counter jerk'.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Consider this scenario. The person with 130 blocks may never block other users but will reply in kind to them up to a certain extent. If those 130 people that blocked him are jerks

That is a huge IF, though. You pile a whole lot of dependency into that unfounded supposition.

But hey, if it helps you sleep at night to believe that folks who get blocked a lot are somehow remarkably innocent, and they are blocked because everyone else is the jerk, well, you can do so. Nobody here can stop you. Have fun and pleasant dreams.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Consider this scenario. The person with 130 blocks may never block other users but will reply in kind to them up to a certain extent. If those 130 people that blocked him are jerks and the guy that was blocked that many times was never a jerk to anyone else, then I wouldn't call him a jerk or a problem that needs cleaned up. Cleaning up the actual jerks will resolve any hint of jerkness from him as he's just being a 'counter jerk'.
Speaking for myself, I'm not 100% innocent. There are times that I'm irritated, often due to lack of sleep or real life, and I cross into abrasiveness first. It happens on occasion. The vast majority of the time, though, someone else does it to me first, I try to re-explain, they do it again, etc. After the 4th-6th time, I get annoyed and treat them like they're treating me.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
That is a huge IF, though. You pile a whole lot of dependency into that unfounded supposition.

But hey, if it helps you sleep at night to believe that folks who get blocked a lot are somehow remarkably innocent, and they are blocked because everyone else is the jerk, well, you can do so. Nobody here can stop you. Have fun and pleasant dreams.
I’m not saying they are in general just that it’s possible some are.

I also get the impression it’s time for this conversation to end so that’s the last I’m going to say on it.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
But there's another common use case of users that are only jerks to those that are being jerks to them. And it's that use case that is being ignored in this.
I have come around to disagreeing with the idea that there is a meaningful difference. I am 100% someone who is a jerk to people when they are a jerk to me. That is a bad habit that I need better control of.

In real life, I’m privileged to live in a state that doesn’t allow prospective employers to ask why you left your last job, or whether it was voluntary, and to have bosses that have so far supported me in standing up to people. This means that when I indulge my big mouth in the presence of jerks, I’m unlikely to be fired and even less likely to have trouble finding a new job because of it. Which is great because when someone is being a jerk IRL, I am going to say something. Customers get abusive and I tell them to shut the hell up and get out.

But I can’t stare a jerk down, here. I can’t bully someone w with basic decency. As @Umbran has told me multiple times, the other guy has no reason to call down, so he probably won’t. The best way to deal with it is to report and ignore.

And 2-way ignore makes it so they can’t read your posts and “subtweet” you, they
are cut off from interacting with you in general.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Critics are those who watch a battle from on high and then come down and shoot the survivors.

You know, I appreciate what @Warpiglet-7 said about going back and re-doing your own ignored list periodically. But ... it also seems like a lot of effort. And having a fun conversation shouldn't be effort. If someone puts forth the hard work to get ignored, I try and honor that work.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Let's say we have 2 users that other both total jerks to everyone. I fully agree in that case. But there's another common use case of users that are only jerks to those that are being jerks to them. And it's that use case that is being ignored in this.

Anything someone does or even how others react to them is an indicator about them. The question is what does that indicate. I'm suggesting it doesn't indicate what is being claimed. That alot of blocks can be but isn't necessarily an indicator of a jerk.

No, at that quantity it doesn't work like that. For a few blocks I agree with what you are saying as a possibility. But when you get up to 130 blocks, if everyone else was really "the jerks" they would have similar or more blocks.

Think like this - a jerk will get blocked by people who don't want to deal with them. If they are as active, they will both have a similar number of blocks from "gives back", but the jerk will also have additional blocks from starting things.

I just unblocked two posters from God-knows-when, whom I had apparently blocked for God-knows-what.

Otherwise, I haven't used the ignore feature for years. I'm curmudgeony and opinionated, and tend to have a high tolerance for people behaving the same way. And even posters who can be really annoying occasionally let some gem slip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads