On number of ignores

Status
Not open for further replies.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I just checked my stats, and it says that I'm not currently ignoring anyone. Weird. I could have sworn I was ignoring at least a handful of people from back in the 4E Edition War days...does the Ignore list ever expire or get purged?

Sacrosanct

Legend
I just checked my stats, and it says that I'm not currently ignoring anyone. Weird. I could have sworn I was ignoring at least a handful of people from back in the 4E Edition War days...does the Ignore list ever expire or get purged?
I'm guessing when the new software got implemented, you'd have to redo all of your lists. But that's just a guess and I could be wrong.

CapnZapp

Legend
I note this thread has 52 posts both in the app and in the (logged out) web view (this post should thus become the 53rd).

My guess is that this means we are not on each other's ignore lists then?

Edit: It was the old forum software that just counted visible posts (so that if the logged-in and logged-out totals didn't match you would know some posts were "missing"; in other words, somebody has you on their Ignore list and is using two-way blocking). Currently, "invisible" posts just skip one in the post count, so you'll have to carefully note if the post count (a small number in the upper right hand corner of each post) skips a number. If you don't bother you'll simply remain unawares you've missed a post and all's well!

Last edited:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Pretty sure I'd kick you out long before then!
Would you kick someone off simply because of how many ignores they get?

If so, I worry I'm using the feature in an unfair manner.

If I feel that someone is getting out of hand with political discussions, or is being abusive, I would report them. I've done this very rarely.

But I've ignored people, for example, when a thread I'm interested in spawns a side discussion where a small group discusses/argues minutia or some tangential point ad infinitum, making it hard to follow posts related to the original point of discussion that interested me in the thread in the first place. I may ignore several people just to make the thread readable and unignore them later.

I treat the ignore feature more like a filter and never considered it a punishment.

Reactions: JEB

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I will never ignore anyone. Sooner or later everyone has something useful to say.

I can think of only one quasi-regular poster who has for sure ignored me, but there's probably others.

I'd prefer if ignore did not exist as a function.
I don't mind it existing. If people don't want to see my posts, they shouldn't have to. It's that the ignore feature goes the other way that I don't like. I should be able to see any posts I want in order to get context for the thread responses and so that I don't miss out on any good ideas. That the quote feature no longer shows those who block you that really, REALLY borks the threads.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't mind it existing. If people don't want to see my posts, they shouldn't have to. It's that the ignore feature goes the other way that I don't like. I should be able to see any posts I want in order to get context for the thread responses and so that I don't miss out on any good ideas. That the quote feature no longer shows those who block you that really, REALLY borks the threads.
I dunno, it makes some arguments entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads