On number of ignores

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if they can successfully do it once, they can do it 2, 3 or 10 times. It's not really a delay of the inevitable, but it is likely to repeat itself a lot.

I think it still helps weed out the trolls. Trolling, after all, is about maximizing annoyance of others with minimal effort. If someone has to go through multiple accounts (with multiple email addresses, minimum post counts to gain credibility, etc) to annoy someone who only has to report them once as a suspected alt account to start the process over, they're really trolling themselves more than the rest of the board.

TheSword

Legend
I think it still helps weed out the trolls. Trolling, after all, is about maximizing annoyance of others with minimal effort. If someone has to go through multiple accounts (with multiple email addresses, minimum post counts to gain credibility, etc) to annoy someone who only has to report them once as a suspected alt account to start the process over, they're really trolling themselves more than the rest of the board.
It is painfully obvious when some Villager joins a conversation as if they’ve been here for years. Talking with familiarity with people on the same topics.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Past is prologue.

Seems pointless; if you can't change your behavior to avoid getting kicked off (or can't take the hint from being blocked by 130+ people!), then a new and different account is only delaying the inevitable.

You don't get blocked by 130 people by believing that your problem is actually your problem, or that you actually have a problem at all. You get blocked by 130 people by believing that, if 130 people have blocked you, they all have a problem and the problem is all of them.

It's... much the same with being permabanned, except sometimes that person being removed is actually right about the moderators being the problem, but they're so confident in their superiority and their entitlement that they honestly believe that if they just double down hard enough that... somehow, everyone else involved will just acknowledge their worth and give them their own way.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I would think, though, that a true troll would be kicked off of the site long before reaching that many ignores. The ones that stay around and get ignored to that degree would probably be non-trolls that are perhaps a bit abrasive.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I would think, though, that a true troll would be kicked off of the site long before reaching that many ignores. The ones that stay around and get ignored to that degree would probably be non-trolls that are perhaps a bit abrasive.
To bring this back full circle, once again; the point here is that being abrasive is an unwelcome character trait, and the consequence for being abrasive is getting ignored and having to put up with the consequences that follow.

You are asking to get to be abrasive without consequence, which doesn't appear like it's going to be happen.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
To bring this back full circle, once again; the point here is that being abrasive is an unwelcome character trait, and the consequence for being abrasive is getting ignored and having to put up with the consequences that follow.

You are asking to get to be abrasive without consequence, which doesn't appear like it's going to be happen.
That isn't what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that those who aren't trolls, but are a just little abrasive will be more likely that a troll to go through the effort to make another account and will last a lot longer. They're more invested in the site. I wasn't saying that it's okay.

the Jester

Legend
I would just point out that the forums here are (happily) devoid of a lot of the divisiveness and outside issues that I find elsewhere, which I think is a feature, and not a bug.
It is the result of years of learning and hard work on the parts of Moruss and the various mods.

Which, by the way, thanks, you guys. You're not perfect and I don't always agree with every call you make, but this site is a great deal better than it would otherwise be thanks to your collective efforts.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It is the result of years of learning and hard work on the parts of Moruss and the various mods.

Which, by the way, thanks, you guys. You're not perfect and I don't always agree with every call you make, but this site is a great deal better than it would otherwise be thanks to your collective efforts.
The weird thing is that I might be one of the most experienced internet community administrators in the world. 20 years now! Yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads